Documentation Pages: Collective Feedback Thread

Hey guys,

to make it easier for our Docs team to review your documentation-specific feedback, here's a pinned thread for your to post all your immediate finds and dedicated ideas.

Please adhere to the following format when posting feedback and problems regarding already existing pages:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary:

Link to docs page in question:

<Your feedback>

Optional: Screenshots linked or attached

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posting your documentation feedback here in the right format will get us on the case quicker, so thanks for everyone's feedback and consideration!

Cheers,
Nic
Nic
CRYENGINE Community Developer

I'm manning the CRYENGINE stations on Facebook & Twitter as well, so come and say hi!
My personal Twittering may contain nuts.

Get to know me.

Re: Documentation Pages: Collective Feedback Thread

The docs should have extensive information on materials within the Sandbox for CryEngine 5.5. Creating different types of materials with files to setting those materials onto the appropriate objects.

For example:

Custom Terrain materials, basic setup to create them and getting them to paint onto a terrain.

Custom Sky materials. basic setup and applying to the sky.

Custom vegetation materials: setup and application to vegetation and trees.

Section:
Tutorial - Lighting - Creating a 24 hour cycle
Color(atmosphere):

current
"For night time set this colour to pure white at the 00:00, 05:55, 17:55 and 23:59 times."
proposed
"For night time set this colour to pure white at the 00:00, 05:55, 18:55 and 23:59 times."
(18:55 instead of 17:55)

Section:
7 - Placing a Spawnpoint

current
"2. We will then right click or Spawnpoint"
proposed
"2. We will then right click on Spawnpoint"
(on instead of or)

Section:
7 - Placing a Spawnpoint

You should write(before) that the current version of CE(5.5 Preview 1) do not have the SpawnPoint entity.
So the user would need to download and integrate the .pak from the SDK to be able to do it.

Summary: Vehicle Documentation

Link to docs page in question: All of them, beginning from the first part: http://docs.cryengine.com/display/CEMAN ... tial+Setup

When clicking on the green arrow "Next" the page takes you to scripting quick start, should take you through the vehicle setup. Also in the documentation, there's a suppose to be a link for asset download, non is present.

Also the document doesn't go into detail in how to add vehicle sounds, it does a great job explain setup for XML and attaching a Spoiler but, doesn't go into detail in how else the attachment system works for example:

I have a Fire Engine, I used dummy in the places where the wheels go and then in the XML I called the called the wheels in the XML, I noticed when I did the wheels attached to the truck and exported the wheels didn't work, I didn't know I needed to use dummys placed them where the wheels would be and name the dummies wheel_1, etc then attached the actual wheels in the XML.

Lastly there isn't no documentation on Vehicle sounds, I had to drive deep in the forums from long ago and a lot of trail and error and still have issues applying sounds to vehicles. To added the documents go over seat placement but, not entering the vehicle, do you place a dummy? do you call the part i.e. door. No really reference on that.

I would gladly write a better overview on getting vehicles in the game but, as it stands with the vehicle editor not working it's even hard to do more .

Summary: Vehicle Documentation

Link to docs page in question: All of them, beginning from the first part: http://docs.cryengine.com/display/CEMAN ... tial+Setup

When clicking on the green arrow "Next" the page takes you to scripting quick start, should take you through the vehicle setup. Also in the documentation, there's a suppose to be a link for asset download, non is present.

Also the document doesn't go into detail in how to add vehicle sounds, it does a great job explain setup for XML and attaching a Spoiler but, doesn't go into detail in how else the attachment system works for example:

I have a Fire Engine, I used dummy in the places where the wheels go and then in the XML I called the called the wheels in the XML, I noticed when I did the wheels attached to the truck and exported the wheels didn't work, I didn't know I needed to use dummys placed them where the wheels would be and name the dummies wheel_1, etc then attached the actual wheels in the XML.

Lastly there isn't no documentation on Vehicle sounds, I had to drive deep in the forums from long ago and a lot of trail and error and still have issues applying sounds to vehicles. To added the documents go over seat placement but, not entering the vehicle, do you place a dummy? do you call the part i.e. door. No really reference on that.

I would gladly write a better overview on getting vehicles in the game but, as it stands with the vehicle editor not working it's even hard to do more .

This is one of the Quick Starts that's still a work in progress, i.e. it's not finished yet. As there might be new pages added in between, we decided to just leave the Next/Previous buttons as they are for the moment (they were just copy-pasted from other pages, including the links attached to them), as adding new pages in between would just break them again.
We'll do another pass for the navigation buttons when the Quick Starts are 100% finished.

We've put in all the pages for the Quick Starts so you can see what they'll look like in the end, but please understand that not all of them are complete yet.
We hope to finish all of them soon. Thank you for the feedback though, we'll definitely consider your suggestions. Keep the feedback coming :)
Vidar, a.k.a. Elmer
Tech Writer for CRYENGINE.

One of the people responsible for documentation.

Many pages missing right images and leading to wrong information (either deprecated or replaced) - for example light volumetrics was deprecated but the page is still there and consists of old info and images.
Also, the old smart objects system that is not working in 5.4 and i believe in 5.5 too. Page for it exists and updated - why? Where is LOD generator? What about Vehicle editor? Where is info about new vehicle components in 5.5 and how to use them? Perharps its better to create a car through components.
What about UQS examples? How to use it? Can it be used within GameSDK ?

Many pages missing right images and leading to wrong information (either deprecated or replaced) - for example light volumetrics was deprecated but the page is still there and consists of old info and images.
Also, the old smart objects system that is not working in 5.4 and i believe in 5.5 too. Page for it exists and updated - why? Where is LOD generator? What about Vehicle editor? Where is info about new vehicle components in 5.5 and how to use them? Perharps its better to create a car through components.
What about UQS examples? How to use it? Can it be used within GameSDK ?
Hi there.

As I mentioned before, the new docs are a Work in Progress and will therefore still have placeholder images and unfinished pages, like the Lighting Quick Start, which includes a page about Light Volumetrics, but is still empty. It may well be that this page is replaced by something else, we'll have to see about that.

About the LOD Generator: you can find documentation on it here:
http://docs.cryengine.com/pages/viewpag ... d=29448726

Vehicle Editor is deprecated and can be found in the Editor under Tools -> Deprecated -> Vehicle Editor.
Be warned though, this tool may be removed in the future in favor of a different system.
Documentation about it can be found here:
http://docs.cryengine.com/pages/viewpag ... d=26214869
Which is basically a copy of the old Cryengine 3 documentation, because the tool hasn't changed since:
http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDO ... cle+Editor
There will be documentation on the Vehicle component, which will be made public later on, possibly when the full 5.5 release comes out.

Concerning the UQS system, documentation can be found here:
http://docs.cryengine.com/pages/viewpag ... d=29450474
Hopefully that helps.

Elmer

P.S.
It would really help if you could structure any feedback in the future the way Cry-Nic shows you in the sticky post at the top. Makes it much easier for us to read, and links really help us nail down where the problems are :)
Vidar, a.k.a. Elmer
Tech Writer for CRYENGINE.

One of the people responsible for documentation.