Re: What is the best way to add tons of lights on a scene without flickering

Where do you set the cvar ? It should be in the system.cfg of the engine.
Worked, to be noted editor.cfg is for the editor and system.cfg for the game so if I want r_ShadowCastingLightsMaxCount 64 to work in the sandbox I should set it in the editor.cfg, I did and it worked.

Thank you @Alekseiv
Last edited by NorthEGames on Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

If you can reproduce this and cannot find a duplicate ticket on the CRYENGINE GitHub Issues pages it would be great if you could create clear steps from start to finish to reproduce the issue there. Our QA team can then verify the issue and we can investigate it internally.
https://github.com/crytek/cryengine/issues
Uniflare
CRYENGINE Technical Community Manager
Here to help the community and social channels grow and thrive.

My personal belongings;
Beginner Guides | My GitHub | Splash Plugin

Currently no more than 12 shadow casting lights, If I remember it right. I hope they fix this limit in 5.7

You can find system.cfg in engine folder.
Afaik there's also a hardware limit to the amount of shadow casting lights, the less powerful a GPU is the less shadows it can process at playable frames, and unless the guy only wants people with high end GPU's playing his game, going crazy with real time shadow casting lights is not smart, will just kill performance of his game. And don't think this will be any different in any other engine, where all lighting is totally dynamic.
Btw you can do very good looking scenes, with very few shadow casting lights, study other Cryengine games, see how they did it. And talking about using very few shadow casting lights, Amnesia comes to mind, is a not a Cryengine game but is a game where all lighting is also dynamic, and where they only used in some scenes one or two "hero" shadow casting lights and the rest of the lighting is made by non-shadow casting lights, and imo still the scenes looked very good and the objects still looked grounded, SSAO helped with that. Of course it all depends on what your trying to achieve.

Currently no more than 12 shadow casting lights, If I remember it right. I hope they fix this limit in 5.7

You can find system.cfg in engine folder.
Afaik there's also a hardware limit to the amount of shadow casting lights, the less powerful a GPU is the less shadows it can process at playable frames, and unless the guy only wants people with high end GPU's playing his game, going crazy with real time shadow casting lights is not smart, will just kill performance of his game. And don't think this will be any different in any other engine, where all lighting is totally dynamic.
Btw you can do very good looking scenes, with very few shadow casting lights, study other Cryengine games, see how they did it. And talking about using very few shadow casting lights, Amnesia comes to mind, is a not a Cryengine game but is a game where all lighting is also dynamic, and where they only used in some scenes one or two "hero" shadow casting lights and the rest of the lighting is made by non-shadow casting lights, and imo still the scenes looked very good and the objects still looked grounded, SSAO helped with that. Of course it all depends on what your trying to achieve.
I remember an article about lighting in the game (Ryse: Son of Rome), it was a question of a larger hall, which would illuminate it with 250 point light sources, with or without shadows I can’t say. There was a special volume in which a large number of light sources could be processed. 12 light bulbs with dynamic shadows, this is clearly very small. There is a point (Shadows From Many Local Lights) in the roadmap, I hope it is moved to the next major update