Mixing multiple materials!

Blending in the engine is outdated, mixing only 2 materials does not give a realistic result and generally there is no flexibility. Write such a shader! And it’s better to hire this person for work, his experiments with shaders in the engine are much more productive than the entire Crytek team over the past 5 years

Re: Mixing multiple materials!

Couple of things you need to know about my shaders though.

I'm not as bound by performance as Crytek is, their stuff needs to run super well and tight. My stuff is less worried about performance as its more about extending the utility and opening up new options for high quality hero asset work.

Something also to note, is that while I do think blending is the future of everything, ray-tracing will set it back 3-4 years. Because ray-tracing becomes prohibitively expensive with materials with many texture samples. So really if you think about it, my timing is horrible lol.

Still though, if you would want access to said shaders they are in BETA. But you shouldn't expect stellar performance like the things that crytek releases :)
Request a BETA from shadersareus@gmail.com

I made a specific email for this whole thing. lol

Couple of things you need to know about my shaders though.

I'm not as bound by performance as Crytek is, their stuff needs to run super well and tight. My stuff is less worried about performance as its more about extending the utility and opening up new options for high quality hero asset work.

Something also to note, is that while I do think blending is the future of everything, ray-tracing will set it back 3-4 years. Because ray-tracing becomes prohibitively expensive with materials with many texture samples. So really if you think about it, my timing is horrible lol.

Still though, if you would want access to said shaders they are in BETA. But you shouldn't expect stellar performance like the things that crytek releases :)
Request a BETA from shadersareus@gmail.com

I made a specific email for this whole thing. lol
In any case, engines from Epic Games have been using a blending of several materials on geometry for a great many years, and the material editor Cryengine stands still dead weight and does not develop at all. There is not even elementary control over a separate texture, for example, I want to make a diffuse map tiling, but I do not want the height map to be tiled. It seems that something is very simple, but even this is not. But they remove unique shaders and the material editor becomes even poorer! Substance certainly added flexibility! At least thanks for that, but I really want Crytek to deal with the materials even though there is such a point in the roadmap (Node Graph Editor for Shaders/Materials)

While I wont say the material editor has gotten any better (the new one has lots of bugs and seperation issues.) I really dont want a node based editor. I think thats just asking for horrible trouble in a game pipeline. Being that ive worked on three UE4 games in my career im familiar with the game breaking problems that come with node based editors. However, if it was limited to prototyping Id have no qualms.

I'm thinking about working on a "Package" based system, which I think is FAR better than Node based, or CE's base material editor. You can check for major rendering issues easier and still give the artist freedom to accomplish what they want. I got my first taste of that while working at Naughty Dog, their blending system is INCREDIBLE! And doesnt need any node based anything. My dream is to make an even better system. :P

Im trying to learn C++ but um... phew haha