As a beginner in CryEngine, I'm totally lost.

Hello everyone! I'm making this post so I can get some help, and I want to give feedback to CRYENGINE developers.

I'm an artist for games, I made a lot assets, and wanted to create a environment. I chose CRYENGINE because of personal reasons. To be honest, when I first saw it I liked it. I still love it. But the amount of things you have to put up with is very annoying.

I highly depend on Substance Designer and Painter for my 3D models. While there is a Designer to CRYENGINE tutorial, there is absolutely nothing for Painter to CRYENGINE, and you have to search through countless forum counts just to find something I can easily do in UDK (Unreal Development Kit). I'm not here to boast about UDK. Just hear me out. This ddna thing confuses me, and Specular workflow just feels outdated overall. Unity, UDK uses metallic. Why do CRYENGINE needs to use specular workflow? You have to learn about a whole workflow just for texturing your assets. And its very confusing. I saw Marmoset's metallic to specular blog post and its amazing, but do we really have to do this? I kit-bashed a lot of stuff, with some of them textured. I dont want to convert every one of my textures. This "DDNA" stuff, I understand literally nothing about it even after I have read the documentation about it. And still, it doesnt work in game. I have used NON-PBR Specular workflow in SPainter, it looks bad. I used PBR Specular in Painter, it still looks bad. I still cant find anything about a material editor. Again, I dont want to compare this to the other engines, but even Unity has a material editor now. The main reason this engine is not as used as UDK is mainly because of this, in my opinion. You guys are trying to be unique too much. As a beginner in the engine, I dont need and dont want to know about "ddna" (???) normal maps. I dont need and want to learn specular workflow.

I'm really bad at writing posts, so forgive me for my formatting. I'm just trying to give some insight to how beginners to the engine feel.

TL;DR: Please get rid of specular workflow, and things that are confusing, like "detail maps" or "ddna" stuff. We dont need stuff like these in UDK. It's simply plugging-in the nodes after importing the texture maps. With CRYENGINE, theres just so much to re-learn stuff that I wont ever need outside of CRYENGINE, and its demotivating, and frasturating.

Crytek, we can do better than this! This engine has lots of potential, ever since it came out. I really want to use this thing. Please, modernize yourself, and try to win Unity and UDK users, dont try to make things harder just because you want to be unique!

Re: As a beginner in CryEngine, I'm totally lost.

listen kiddo,
ddna are standard ddn textures and its great that you are going to learn what a specular map is and how to use it.
- as for you never ever in your lifetime needing that knowledge, keep in mind what Steve told you: you cannot connect the dots forward.

on a sidenote: if you want the best engine, it is really dangerous to tell them they could reach a bigger audience by changing something -
they did that with Crysis 2 and 3 because someone told them the money is in consoles...

In general, Material Editor in the engine is infinitely obsolete, and in the latest updates do not work some shaders, and some functions. As a result, that obsolete Material Editor is now even more useless than a few years ago. In general, I do not understand the logic of Crytek shaders is the face of the engine like lighting, but if thanks to SVOGI the lighting develops, work with materials stuck in the distant past, and does not move at all from the dead center. Availability in roadmap (Node graph for Shaders) gives hope that Crytek is engaged in a new Material Editor right now, but just do not tell us about it. The main thing is that the introduction of new technology will not last for many years
For example, integration Substance was a surprise, can Crytek still surprise ;)

listen kiddo,
ddna are standard ddn textures and its great that you are going to learn what a specular map is and how to use it.
- as for you never ever in your lifetime needing that knowledge, keep in mind what Steve told you: you cannot connect the dots forward.

on a sidenote: if you want the best engine, it is really dangerous to tell them they could reach a bigger audience by changing something -
they did that with Crysis 2 and 3 because someone told them the money is in consoles...
I dont quite understand why you choose to refer me as "kiddo". You know, after you insult somebody, people tend to not listen to the things you say afterwards. Keep that in mind for real life.

I only choose to learn what I need to, even if I dont like it. Most people and most engines work with metallic. I dont see why I should learn specular workflow just for this engine. I see it as time waste.

Yeah, I talked big about not needing that knowledge in my lifetime, but let me tell you, I dont need that knowledge for anything I have to do with UDK, and I still get amazing stuff done by it. You can even make stuff flow, half transparent and all that cool stuff with shader graphs.

on a sidenote: Crysis 1 was a masterpiece but with Crysis 2 they shat on the whole series' fans, thats why no one bought that game. It was a downgrade. CRYENGINE V is not a masterpiece. It has a lot of flaws. If it tries to reach a better audience, it means getting better in every way.

I dont quite understand why you choose to refer me as "kiddo". You know, after you insult somebody, people tend to not listen to the things you say afterwards. Keep that in mind for real life.
forgive me, I did not mean it as an insult. More in the sense of:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/kiddo (—used as a familiar form of address you'll be OK, kiddo)
thank you for the advice - I will keep that in mind for real life.
let me finish with a quote from an Indian banker: "nothing is wasted, everything is preparation for the next scene"

out of curiosity (and don't take this personal) - what is the reason to choose cryengine if it sucks for your workflow and is flawed compared to UDK?

kakarrotShun, not sure whether I get your issues? If you spend some time on creating assets it shouldn't be really big deal to use specular workflow. I've started myself with specular/gloss and learned metallic/roughness. To be honest there is not much to it. There are plenty tuts, articles showing a difference, even on you tube. So even converting assets shouldn't be a big deal especially using Substance.
By the way Substnace Painter has preset for Cryengine that works pretty okay or you can create your custom export presets really. I'm no expert in Substance but still managed to do so. Material editor - well, Legacy Editor works well for me. So what is exact problem you are facing? Are you requesting help or having a rant on CE. I agree that CE is no perfect but I guess nothing really worthy doesn't come cheap if you know what I mean. So do you have some specific questions or choose to moan instead?
GorbashGaming - Beginner Tutorials for CE https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIjN10 ... Img/videos

kakarrotShun, not sure whether I get your issues? If you spend some time on creating assets it shouldn't be really big deal to use specular workflow. I've started myself with specular/gloss and learned metallic/roughness. To be honest there is not much to it. There are plenty tuts, articles showing a difference, even on you tube. So even converting assets shouldn't be a big deal especially using Substance.
By the way Substnace Painter has preset for Cryengine that works pretty okay or you can create your custom export presets really. I'm no expert in Substance but still managed to do so. Material editor - well, Legacy Editor works well for me. So what is exact problem you are facing? Are you requesting help or having a rant on CE. I agree that CE is no perfect but I guess nothing really worthy doesn't come cheap if you know what I mean. So do you have some specific questions or choose to moan instead?
While I dont like your attitude at the end, you are right. Post wasnt meant for ranting, but afterwards I pretty much had a rant, I apologize.

I use the PBR Specular workflow with Substance, and export it with CRYENGINE preset, but still diffuse works wrong, and normal map doesnt show, it looks like I used OPENGL map even though I used DirectX map on it. I looked it up, CRYENGINE uses DirectX, but it still shows wrong. Also I dont understand why I should name normal maps as "ddna", and also why it is so hard to make even a simple material. Don't quite get the "detail" maps too. I also read somewhere that I have to use Photoshop and tweak a lot of things just to use something from Substance Painter. I dont get the meaning of doing so much work like this even though for other engines its such an easy feat. For some reason, I thought this community would understand what I meant without insults, so I decided to make a feedback thread, and yeah, this is the result. Thanks.
out of curiosity (and don't take this personal) - what is the reason to choose cryengine if it sucks for your workflow and is flawed compared to UDK?
I like Crytek and Cevat Yerli. (though he stepped down) So I want them to suceed in every way. I dont like seeing them getting trashed around, I want to support them. That's it really. Though, with the community response to a simple "moaning" thread like this, I'm totally discouraged. Thanks for the quotes though, also, sorry for the misunderstanding.

don't be discouraged so easily - the internet is a harsh mistress sometimes, but its not personal - I should have not called you names, haha.
I like Crytek and Cevat too - and I love thrashing them for ruining my 2 favorite FPS but I don't forget how great their engine is and how amazing it is that they gave me sandbox 2 and all the .cry files for Crysis so I could learn and make a level.
However - exactly the material things you mentioned have kept me to this day from making a crate in 3ds max and putting it on the beach in my level. - so complicated :) ( I can get an invisible one in, no problem)
I have a manual though and I am confident the next time I try it will happen (and confidence is the feeling I have before I understand the situation).
Happy creating ...

I use the PBR Specular workflow with Substance, and export it with CRYENGINE preset, but still diffuse works wrong, and normal map doesnt show, it looks like I used OPENGL map even though I used DirectX map on it. I looked it up, CRYENGINE uses DirectX, but it still shows wrong. Also I dont understand why I should name normal maps as "ddna", and also why it is so hard to make even a simple material. Don't quite get the "detail" maps too. I also read somewhere that I have to use Photoshop and tweak a lot of things just to use something from Substance Painter.
I can't help you with substance painter but maybe with your other problems.
1# What is your issue with the specular workflow? What is it that you don't understand?
2# What do you mean by " diffuse works wrong" ? showing some example pictures would help.
3# Your normal doesn't show? Can you show an example ? Also show us the normal map in question.
4# What is it that you don't get about detail maps?

Your post is probably misunderstood as banter because you dump a lot of complains without actually providing enough information to actually constructively help you.

also two answers:
1. ddna is an preset that tells crytiff that the map is a normal map this smoothness in alpha. It is actually not necessary to use it but it makes it easy for you as crytiff will filter the right conversion preset for you automatically.
2. Creating a Material should be super easy just open the material editor. Navigate to a location you want to create a new material. Right click and choose "create new material".