How beginner friendly is this engine really? FPS vs Unreal Engine.

So whenever I'm asking someone if it's a good decision to dive into CE the answer is no because 1: it relays on you already having some experience with code and networking.
2: Documentation is horrible.

To 2: It's developing from what I read of it.

1:
You really need to learn how to setup LOD's and mechanics in UE first huh?

Also:
Is this engine superior graphicwise to UE4?
What I heard is: Its great for first person shooters. Now im a digital designer and from what I know everything depends on you. different engines have different gammas.
Assets stay the same, so theoretically you should get the exact same quality.

But I heard CE uses different lighting mechanics. Since it uses Physical lights, does it mean I don't have as many possibilities as in UE implementing dynamics, environment polys etc.?

Re: How beginner friendly is this engine really? FPS vs Unreal Engine.

Testnick wrote:So whenever I'm asking someone if it's a good decision to dive into CE the answer is no because 1: it relays on you already having some experience with code and networking.
2: Documentation is horrible.

To 2: It's developing from what I read of it.

1:
You really need to learn how to setup LOD's and mechanics in UE first huh?

Also:
Is this engine superior graphicwise to UE4?
What I heard is: Its great for first person shooters. Now im a digital designer and from what I know everything depends on you. different engines have different gammas.
Assets stay the same, so theoretically you should get the exact same quality.

But I heard CE uses different lighting mechanics. Since it uses Physical lights, does it mean I don't have as many possibilities as in UE implementing dynamics, environment polys etc.?

Although other engines have more assets open, the other engines can not compare to how well CE runs as well as the options CE has. I myself chose to go to CE not only for the Terms and EULA but also for the perks the engine provides over the other.

As for the Docs, They are updated, and they work on updating them very often.

Testnick wrote:Have more assets open? What you mean?... weeell how well does CE run?
When you make a multiplayergame on large scale like PUBG I suppose you face the same fps issues like in UE4 and got to watch the exact same things with exactly the same outcome.

the engine run well, download it and try it by yourself is the best way, i suggest to download the 5.3 wich i think is the more stable at the moment

Depends what you want to do.
For first time devs in code or art i say cryengine is super easy and the main reason I came here, not even because of the lack of royalties or fees.

I downloaded the engine and starting playing with cpp code in under an hour(mostly installation time).

It is ludixrously easy to get into game dev this way though more advanced topics sometimes assume a fore-knowledge of certain topics such as modelling/rigging and animation, these will prove more challenging atm but will def improve witb new templates and documentation, tutorials and webinars.

I suggest to try the engine and see if you like it. It is the only way imo.
Uniflare
CRYENGINE Community Coordinator
Here to help the community and social channels grow and thrive.

My personal belongings;
Beginner Guides | My GitHub | Splash Plugin

Testnick wrote:What I heard is: Its great for first person shooters.
Mainly because it comes with a very fleshed-out first-person shooter template to boot, taken directly from Crysis. You can, of course, create any game mechanics you want using C++, C#, Schematyc or flowgraph similarly to how you would in any other engine, as most concepts are universal.

Testnick wrote:But I heard CE uses different lighting mechanics. Since it uses Physical lights, does it mean I don't have as many possibilities as in UE implementing dynamics, environment polys etc.?
Not at all, it simply means that values like luminance and so on are measured the same way they are in the real world, and will also produce results very accurate to those in the real world. It makes creating photorealistic scenes almost formulaic, but doesn't limit your ability to be as artistic as you want with your lighting.

Testnick wrote:Is this engine superior graphicwise to UE4?
In almost every case, benchmarks have shown CE to have a rather significant performance advantage over UE when attempting to create an identical scene with the same assets. CE is able to render more at a higher framerate, compute physics faster, and in general performs better under stress, while also producing sharper, more physically accurate shading. That being said, CE doesn't scale downwards quite as nicely and usually takes a little bit more power to get going off the bat.

Crytek has been pushing the hardcore graphical envelope since 1999, so neither of those things should come as a surprise.

I would also like to note, with the experimentation towards mobile gaming platforms and the emphasis on VR, I would personally expect improvements towards the low end spec for CE. There are many things you can do/disable/remove from the engine to make the engine more.. reasonable, for lower end hardware. Though not out-of-the-box right now, it will need some tweaking and possibly some custom C+ edits to reach below the CE minimum spec list.
Uniflare
CRYENGINE Community Coordinator
Here to help the community and social channels grow and thrive.

My personal belongings;
Beginner Guides | My GitHub | Splash Plugin