FEEDBACK - Launcher

Earlier today i talked about some of the things regarding the launcher, the things that could be improvement. Jose De Gouveia suggested i should make a new topic for it on the forums so here i am. In the CryEngine Launcher you have a tab called Library if you click it, it doesn't give you much information at all, only the packs you might have bought/downloaded from the marketplace. it would be a huge improvement to turn that over into a more sensible layout. For example where you can see the installed engine's or updates regarding the engines, your projects and which assets you have downloaded/bought from the marketplace, those things should all be in one place. A compact layout is highly suggested. people want to see everything they have as quickly as possible. It is all about how User Friendly you can make the launcher.

At the moment a lot of people dislike the launcher because of several reasons. I don't think i have to tell them as they are mostly known (however feel free to add anything extra below)

Honestly Epic did a great job regarding their launcher and i suggest following that a bit closer and with that i mean make it a lot more user friendly. I've made a mock-up for the launcher. Feedback from others would be nice, for example suggestions. but also just feedback regarding the current launcher. The idea is that we all suggest better components/features and ideas to get a better launcher, at least close to that 90% of the people would like it and use it.

EDIT Additional feedback regarding the marketplace in the launcher. It would be helpful if the Marketplace "tab" is actually a tab instead of not doing anything right now. The idea is: If you click on the marketplace tab you get a overview of the marketplace items right in the launcher with the newest items at the top lets say (3 or 4 in a row) and then you can click on a item and go to the marketplace website (at least first iteration of it, since it will be a lot of work for iteration 2) Iteration 2 means being able to directly purchase/download the assets in the launcher. it goes a lot quicker and ideally you would immediately see the launcher downloading the bought asset. But like i said it should probably go in phases since it is a lot of work to make that possible.

Another thing i noticed is how the My Submissions work. It would be nice if we could remove the declined submissions, you might ask why? simply because it has no info/usefulness anymore to the owner. We don't have to see every time that one of the assets was declined, we know and we like to be able to remove it. Not automatically but manually (some might like to keep it). I would also suggest to overhaul the overview as well, like in my mock-up the My Assets part. Making the submissions page exactly like that would be nice, with the little thumbnail and you could possible store a lot more items on a single page (view) then putting them all in a list. And on the left side the large menu so we can quickly go between the pages, going up to library and then click my submissions is 1 unnecessary click extra, that extra click has no use or value, its an extra step which can annoy people.

The overall point is, people want a user friendly launcher, one that is quick in its usage, people can quickly see where to click and where to go for what they want. Now its more or less a website with to many hidden clicks.

I might be a bit extreme? i would say regarding the 1 extra click/step but as a web designer its something you work with everyday and try to avoid, make it as user friendly as possible and quick as possible.

Let me know what you guys/girls think of it and more important share your own idea/opinion about the launcher.

Here is the mock-up:

Re: FEEDBACK - Launcher

Hey @revolutionart Thank you, this is helpful. I can address some of your feedback right now and there are some things you mention which are already in the pipeline, but please keep in mind we might not be able to implement some of them even if I said I like it, or wont be there in a short term, as we already have our own plans/vision.

It would be helpful if the Marketplace "tab" is actually a tab instead of not doing anything right now. The idea is: If you click on the marketplace tab you get a overview of the marketplace items right in the launcher with the newest items at the top lets say (3 or 4 in a row) and then you can click on a item and go to the marketplace website

I really like this idea and can be done in the short term. We already do some of this, in the main dashboard below Latest News, you can see there is a 'Featured Assets' section

Another thing i noticed is how the My Submissions work. It would be nice if we could remove the declined submissions, you might ask why? simply because it has no info/usefulness anymore to the owner. We don't have to see every time that one of the assets was declined, we know and we like to be able to remove it. Not automatically but manually (some might like to keep it).

In a future version (no date yet), we will introduce a Filter option, where you can filter your Submitted Assets via status, so you will be able to filter out the Declined ones

Making the submissions page exactly like that would be nice, with the little thumbnail and you could possible store a lot more items on a single page (view) then putting them all in a list. And on the left side the large menu so we can quickly go between the pages, going up to library and then click my submissions is 1 unnecessary click extra, that extra click has no use or value, its an extra step which can annoy people.

This is a very nice idea and to that I would even add the option be able to click an asset already released and go to the asset website into the marketplace

Great reply Jose!

Alright so we talked about the default location where the launcher wants to store a new project, this should be possible to change in the settings, that option is currently missing. (Thought i'd put it here so we don't forgot we discussed this haha)

Maybe something to update the project list on the launcher?

Say you make a game and make a copy to run tests before you want to soon the default game. By adding the copy to the projects folder. It seems it does not update the launcher projects as well resulting in having to navigate there to load it by hand.