Victorian Room - Art Collab

Hey everyone,

my friend Verena Gruse and me, both 3D game artists, finally published our spare time portfolio project.
So here it is :)

If you want to see additional screenshots and get more information, please feel free to visit our artstation page:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Bm5X08

Verena's page https://www.artstation.com/artwork/QzVKLr

Here is the flythrough: https://vimeo.com/360122592
Attachments
vr1.png
vr1.png (3.59 MiB) Viewed 3652 times
vr5.png
vr5.png (3.51 MiB) Viewed 3652 times
vr17.png
vr17.png (3.76 MiB) Viewed 3652 times

Re: Victorian Room - Art Collab

VERY nice! Love the lighting in the room, showing off CE's sweet traits.

Only thing I can see is that there isn't enough contrast between light/dark.
Wood absorbs light really well, the lighting in the room looks too universal to really stand out.
Basically, lamps look like they are illuminating too much/too-much spread/ oo little reduction in light source at range.

Good job!

Sweet! :o

I like the mood in this scene. The ambient lights actually work very well. It looks like a well lit movie scene. If movies were kit with natural lighting, we actually wouldn't see a damn thing. So this is a perfect artistic direction for me. Excellent job! The atmosphere is welcoming and a bit daunting at the same time. I am wondering what might happen in this room. :)
Nic
CRYENGINE Brand Manager

I'm manning the CRYENGINE stations on Facebook & Twitter as well, so come and say hi!
My personal Twittering may contain nuts.

Get to know me.

Thanks man! I really appreciate it :)

The lighting job was a bit of a hassle at first. My last time working with CryEngine was like 7 years ago, a lot changed since then! :D
Especially the restriction of 12 shadow casting lights at the same time was something I needed to work around for this particular scene.

Thanks man! I really appreciate it :)

The lighting job was a bit of a hassle at first. My last time working with CryEngine was like 7 years ago, a lot changed since then! :D
Especially the restriction of 12 shadow casting lights at the same time was something I needed to work around for this particular scene.
12 where from! 6-8 and light sources and shadows begin to flicker. In general, some kind of stupidity, a modern engine on which it is impossible to properly adjust the lighting in the rooms. There is an item (MANY SOURCES OF LIGHT WITH SHADOWS) in the roadmap, I hope at least they will bring this technology in 5.7. The only thing I don't like is the disgusting bloom in the engine. The scene is good! How did you go around the limitation in the light sources with shadows?

Well there isn't reall a workaround for that.
In theory there is a cvar for it to max the amount (r_shadowcastinglights ##) but unfortunenately this one doesn't work atm and needs to be fixed.

So I basically reduced the amount as far as possible (a lot of these lights don't cast shadows and are therefore positioned wisely).

As far as I tested it, the said cvar doesn't work in 5.6 either.

I upgraded my hardware recently (Ryzen 3900x, RTX 2080 TI). Don't know if this could actually have helped, but since then I got no flickering. Even when beeing slightly above 12 lights casting shadows.

Well there isn't reall a workaround for that.
In theory there is a cvar for it to max the amount (r_shadowcastinglights ##) but unfortunenately this one doesn't work atm and needs to be fixed.

So I basically reduced the amount as far as possible (a lot of these lights don't cast shadows and are therefore positioned wisely).

As far as I tested it, the said cvar doesn't work in 5.6 either.

I upgraded my hardware recently (Ryzen 3900x, RTX 2080 TI). Don't know if this could actually have helped, but since then I got no flickering. Even when beeing slightly above 12 lights casting shadows.
Ooh! With such a video card, you can already indulge with RTX in UE4, and do not suffer from Cryengine

Superb ! Only 2 small things if you want to further improve it: personally I'd like some flickering in the lights (I've seen the candles already have this feature, but it's not noticeable in the walk-through movie, and doing the same for the gas lights would add to the overall atmosphere); secondly, at some moment you can see a very straight line at the bottom of the fire (facing the camera) - maybe you can mask it in some way. Other than that I think it's a perfect scene !
Adrian Nen
visual artist
https://www.artstation.com/adriannen