General Questions to Programming to Crytek

I've been working with cry engine since eaas. Through the past year I've taken the schematyc tool and modified it to work like how unreal engine blueprint system works.

This scripting tool can now control internally scripted behaviors for in-game Actors. Has the able to control complex animations on game character systems. Able to control network base features and other debugging information as well. I also modified it to work with scaleform and be able to use UI type features for it.

Question to Crytek...

1. If i release this code what is the likely that crytek would use this inside there engine.
2. am i better off just scrapping the idea till you guys release something and build off of that.
3. How much community driven code do you accept on the engine.
4. What are your feelings towards less work and waiting on your end vs outside help

Re: General Questions to Programming to Crytek

I've been working with cry engine since eaas. Through the past year I've taken the schematyc tool and modified it to work like how unreal engine blueprint system works.

This scripting tool can now control internally scripted behaviors for in-game Actors. Has the able to control complex animations on game character systems. Able to control network base features and other debugging information as well. I also modified it to work with scaleform and be able to use UI type features for it.

Question to Crytek...

1. If i release this code what is the likely that crytek would use this inside there engine.
Very Unlikely, There is a large process for adding things including what it would be coded in and all
2. am i better off just scrapping the idea till you guys release something and build off of that.
I would say build what you need if you need something that is not added in the engine. Like if your project depends on it, then keep it. It can be unknown when stuff will come to replace it.
3. How much community driven code do you accept on the engine.
Depends on the code. It may fix something, but break many other things, so better off to add it to their Git, or send in the Discord Engine feedback and see. They cant add everything, as it may work for what your doing, but it might be a hack to something, and bug the engine worse in other areas.
4. What are your feelings towards less work and waiting on your end vs outside help
I cant fully answer for this, but there are legal issues, and issue ton consider on these things. Depending on what it is, it may break something, and they are liable for what you did, whereas if they did it, and fully tested it, then there is less of an issue.
Those are what i would think it would look like most likely.
My studio uses a custom core built off the engine and updates it often, so no shame on having your own edited engine. You can even share if you wish.

Re: General Questions to Programming to Crytek

Hey there, sounds like you made some big progress with your project. Unfortunately we are unlikely to take something like this as we are working in-house on Schematyc already and will most likely conflict with our side of things.

You are welcome to showcase your product though and it would be great to see how far you have come, if you have a GitHub that would be great. We very much appreciate community endeavors such as this.

As Finchy already mentioned it depends on what the changes are. We do try to integrate Pull Requests for example, direct code contributions to CRYENGINE. If the change is too large however, it can be risky for us to invest so much time into checking, code reviewing, modifying and integrating then QA'ing such large changes as it may end up not being viable at all. For this reason we advise small, contained fixes or features that are easily digestible.
Uniflare
CRYENGINE Technical Community Manager
Here to help the community and social channels grow and thrive.

My personal belongings;
Beginner Guides | My GitHub | Splash Plugin