Rotation Problem with Re-Using CE animation database

Hello all,
I'm trying to find a way to re-use animation from GameSdk,
i'm into the engine and trying to figure out this issue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8uviph ... e=youtu.be
As the video show, the rig drive correcty my skinned character. I've used the bip_01 rig, working in figure mode for the biped to match my topology.
But when using the human IA, it go crazy.
How can I make this work correctly ?
Last edited by R.Tomasi on Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Rotation Problem with Re-Using CE animation database

Hello all,
I'm trying to find a way to re-use animation from GameSdk,
i'm into the engine and trying to figure out this issue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8uviph ... e=youtu.be
As the video show, the rig drive correcty my skinned character. I've used the max agent rig, working in figure mode for the biped to match my topology.
But when using the human IA, it go crazy.
How can I make this work correctly ?
I would like to know that how did you use gamesdk animations with custom skeleton?
Vishwajith Weerasinghe

I've used Bip_01 rig, skinned the topology using cryskin, exported skeleton_character as .chr and geo as .skin, assembling a new .cdf file with thoses assets, and loaded player.chrparameters into my skeleton.
As you see it play nicely in character tool, but it's like a bone is misoriented in the engine.
I think gamesdk animations only work for generic_skeleton.chr (you can find the default skeleton file https://www.cryengine.com/tutorials ) and custom skeletons are not supported.
This is the default skeleton and you can view its bone names.Is your custom skeleton has those names?
skeleton.png
skeleton.png (55.94 KiB) Viewed 677 times
In my case we can't use gamesdk animations for custom skeletons.(I don't know are there any way to do that and I didn't find it yet)I also tried that before as you said but I didn't get any good results.So I suggest you the use default skeleton file and bind your custom character meshes to it and export the .skin files and material files.Then edit sdk_player.cdf file in character editor and change the .skin files.I'm sure you can work with gamesdk animations and those custom characters without any errors.
maya_1.png
maya_1.png (177.92 KiB) Viewed 677 times
This image shows how I'm rigging a custom character using default skeleton.
Cheers!
Vishwajith Weerasinghe

Hey !
I was on your youtube page, and saw that you solved the posing issue by copying original bones transform to custom rig after skinning, that's a good idea, but how painful.. did you try with set key ?
About using custom skeleton, i'm using bip_01, so the nomenclature of bones is the good one.
I've followed this course for CE3
https://app.pluralsight.com/player?name ... hua-kinney
The fact is, Joshua Kinney show how to use a biped rig, posing it correctly using figure mode ( So the posing is quickly achieved, and we can correctly match the scales of fingers for example) , and everything seem to be ok for him in CryEngine3.
Since i'm now on CE5, I've thought I just have to export skin info and geo as .skin files, instead of .chr.
Don't know why it's working in character editor and not IG... same settings seems to be stored into the .cdf between the two editor.

Hey !
I was on your youtube page, and saw that you solved the posing issue by copying original bones transform to custom rig after skinning, that's a good idea, but how painful.. did you try with set key ?
About using custom skeleton, i'm using bip_01, so the nomenclature of bones is the good one.
I've followed this course for CE3
https://app.pluralsight.com/player?name ... hua-kinney
The fact is, Joshua Kinney show how to use a biped rig, posing it correctly using figure mode ( So the posing is quickly achieved, and we can correctly match the scales of fingers for example) , and everything seem to be ok for him in CryEngine3.
Since i'm now on CE5, I've thought I just have to export skin info and geo as .skin files, instead of .chr.
Don't know why it's working in character editor and not IG... same settings are stored into the .cdf between the two editor.
I didn't try it yet.Thank you so much for letting me know about it :)
yes CE3 used .chr instead of .skin files.I watched the trailer at the pluralsight.com.Did he use default skeleton file of CE3?
Why don't you use the way which I showed in my youtube channel?It is very easy to do that. :P

Edit:
Is it working still on character editor?I mean close and re-open sandbox and reopen that .cdf file.Is it working fine?
I think it is essential the bip_01 nomenclature for weapon attachments and some other items in game.dll or scripts.
Vishwajith Weerasinghe

In this course the teacher successfully link the custom skeleton, which had the same normenclature as the SDK rig.
I give a try to the sample rig contained in the exercise files provided by Crytek.

Yeah anim the rig to do the posing seem a way to go.
But what about if the character had a slightly different morphology ? long fingers for example ?
In max, the biped mode allow us to scale the bones for them to match the topology. Seems fine on paper and in the charac editor :)