Re: Extended Detail Bending : The lack of information

Hey cinnabear, please don't just bump topics like this, it's considered spam. :)

I understand and apprecaite your excitement and I will talk to the team about this, however, you need to follow the rules, please or I have to issue a warning.

Hey Nic,
I feel like this is a greatly overlooked and important topic and as a long time member of this forum i am aware that sometimes without some persistent demands questions can fall under the table. But having your response finally ensures me that this topic gets it deserved attention.

Did you look into this page about the Vegetation Editor, btw?

I forwarded the request to our documentation team and they are looking into it. :)

Cheers,

Yes, i think im quite familiar with the cryengine documentation.
The particlular page you linked does cover the Vegetation editor and has therefor no information about said Extended Detail Bending as this is a shader function and needs preperation outside of CE (Vertex Coloring).
Any information about Extended Detail Bending that can be found on the Docs are linked in my first post. It's barely existent and insufficient to help someone to make use of it.

Thank you for forwarding my question.

I won't just simply bump this thread any more.
Also feel free to delete any bump post of mine in this thread.

This should use the existing vertex colors and setup in the mesh, if you are using a brush, as the documentation states you should enable Receive Wind in the object properties before enabling this option in the material settings. This should not be necessary if you are painting the vegetation.

This should take the existing data and allow you to tweak extra values in the material properties such as Branch XY Amplitude etc.
Uniflare
CRYENGINE Technical Community Manager
Here to help the community and social channels grow and thrive.

My personal belongings;
Beginner Guides | My GitHub | Splash Plugin

This should use the existing vertex colors and setup in the mesh, if you are using a brush, as the documentation states you should enable Receive Wind in the object properties before enabling this option in the material settings. This should not be necessary if you are painting the vegetation.

This should take the existing data and allow you to tweak extra values in the material properties such as Branch XY Amplitude etc.
Hello Cry-Flare.
When Extended Detail Bending is activated The vertex colors have a bit of a different effect to the bending of the mesh than the standard detail bending!

Let's have a look at what the effects of the vertex color are:
For Detail Bending:
We can see that:
Blue isn't moving at all
Green is effected by the Bending branch amplitude only
Red is manly effected by the Bending edges amplitude but also somewhat by the Bending branch amplitude (which shouldn't actually be the case)
Yellow is obviously a combination of both Green and Red.

BTW these results are quite different from what the Documentation says.

And now for Extended Detail Bending
Here we can see that:
Green Red Yellow aren't effected at all.
Blue is effected by all the Bending Branch Params Extended Detail Bending has to offer.

but if we now look at a Cryengine stock asset that is set up with Extended Detail Bending in mind like the Tree_Treehouse.cgf from the Robinson Pack.

And take a look at the vertex colors to make this nice animation happening...
We get something that is quite confusing and hard to reproduce,

I just would like to see an addition to the Detail Bending Documentation regarding the setup of Extended Detail Bending and what someone has to consider when painting the vertex colors.

Indeed there are some changes to the meaning of the Vertex colors when using the Extended Detail Bending feature:

Blue is the strength of the large scale (Bending Branch XY and Z)
Green is the Phase of the large scale Bending
Red is some small scale Noise (Bending Edge Amplitude)

A Black vertex color now means no bending. Whereas in standard detail bending it was blue that meant no bending.
The documentation is currently being worked on and this is definitely one topic on our list that we want to include in detail.
Uniflare
CRYENGINE Technical Community Manager
Here to help the community and social channels grow and thrive.

My personal belongings;
Beginner Guides | My GitHub | Splash Plugin