Re: CRYENGINE Learning Initiatives

I would really like to request tutorial series on lighting in cryengine. It would be great to see setting up a small scene and setting up lighting for it (Explaining environment probes,Voxel etc). It would be great to have it focused on environment art, so that its much easier to showcase environment at in portfolios using cryengine.

I'm completely new to Cryengine, just making the transition from Unity. I am just about to begin learning with Flappy Boid. However I would love to see more tutorials on how to make more full games with Cryengine, but maybe more advanced than Flappy Boid. For example, Unity have multiple tutorials for different games like a Roll the Ball game, a 2D Roguelike game, a Space Shooter game, and an isometric survival game. It would be fantastic if Cryengine could have some tutorials similar to what Unity gives you.

I 100% agree what 'cwicwi' said in the first page. Please make detailed and clean tutorials for beginners. I want crytek to make > Complete introduction to material editor/Environment Editor/Vegetation Editor/Flowgraph/Schematyc/Entity Components/Beautiful Environment Creation/Lights/SVOGI and a lot more. This is not 2010 and 2012-2013 year anymore. UE4 and Unity are moving forward too fast, compared to cryengine and cryengine is like far away. Dear Crytek, Don't you think its time to move on seriously and start real business? Otherwise everytime you're going to be remembered for most people as 'Old Engine, Dead Engine. Buggy Engine. No good tutorials, Small Community, Small Marketplace, etc. Do you want this to be happened like years and years and years and years until absolutely everybody even the very few people will stop using this engine? Just think about it of what I said above. You need to get into serious mode. I believe there is no better game engine than cryengine, when it comes to life-like graphics. So start the real professionalism now.

I 100% agree what 'cwicwi' said in the first page. Please make detailed and clean tutorials for beginners. I want crytek to make > Complete introduction to material editor/Environment Editor/Vegetation Editor/Flowgraph/Schematyc/Entity Components/Beautiful Environment Creation/Lights/SVOGI and a lot more. This is not 2010 and 2012-2013 year anymore. UE4 and Unity are moving forward too fast, compared to cryengine and cryengine is like far away. Dear Crytek, Don't you think its time to move on seriously and start real business? Otherwise everytime you're going to be remembered for most people as 'Old Engine, Dead Engine. Buggy Engine. No good tutorials, Small Community, Small Marketplace, etc. Do you want this to be happened like years and years and years and years until absolutely everybody even the very few people will stop using this engine? Just think about it of what I said above. You need to get into serious mode. I believe there is no better game engine than cryengine, when it comes to life-like graphics. So start the real professionalism now.
Keep in mind that the CRYENGINE team is much, much smaller compared to Unity and Unreal Engine teams. Development is ofcourse impacted by that. Having a huge team is very costly.

I agree with reziko233 and also understand and agree with lavizh said too.
We all want Cryengine to improve their learning content, overall quality of the engine and usability of it.
We know they are working in the engine, the roadmap is here for everyone. But one thing I'd like to see is a constant growing work to built a stronger community, big social media websites such as facebook, instagram and youtube are essencial to maintain a strong presence these days. Maybe also try some way to bring people that already know how to use the engine to create new video tutorials with new content, something like that. We know tha the bigger the community and users supporting it the greater the improvements.

The Tutorials Are Long And For The Most Part Not The Answer To My Calling, We Need REAL Tutorials That Get DEEP Into The CRYENGINE, i Don't Wanna Be A Generic Developer With Minimal Talent And Ability, I Wanna BE The Greatest There Can Be And I Have Chosen Your Engine! In Order To Understand Your Engine, Your Expression, I Must Need Input From You:

Please Eagerly Make Videos On HOW, To Use The CRYENGINE To Add My WORK Into It, To Make IT About MY EXPRESSION, On Top Of Yours...

Heres Some Beginner Tuts:
Adding A Player That Can Be Fully Utilized Through Code, Meaning, How TO Make Him Melee, Range Attach, Use Particles When He Moves, Hits, Melees, Shoots, Presses A Button!
Lots Of Script Guidance, We Need Particle Tutorials On Scrips, We Need Animation, More Deeper, Complex Animation Adding And Combing With In Scrips, We Need More Guidance On How To Actually Use The CRYENGINE With The Scrips!
If This Is Not Your Path Then Fine! Show Us How To Use The Flow-graph To Utilize, To Edit The Player.cpp Scripts, Tell Us How to Use The Flow Chart To Do A Lot Of Things, That Are Convenience, Make Tuts Like 1 Min Or Something lol, Efficient Yet Powerful, And Make Sure The End Result Is Always Shown!

Tanks!

Tutorial Idea
A tactical action RPG which uses an isometric view.
- The combat system is a turn-based tactical combat system that uses action points (AP). Its similar to XCOM style games.
- The turn based combat system uses pathfinding to show the optimal route to a cover position while in combat.
- The combat grid disappears after the combat encounter. Reappears when entering combat encounters. (mostly animation).
- Core movement system outside of combat is a point and click movement.
- A barebones RPG system.
- An introduction to choice based dialog systems.

Thanks
Last edited by WiredRaccoon on Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

First of all: thank you very much for the efforts to provide learning materials.

I‘ve got some thoughts here aswell. Before we start I should maybe spend a few words on my CryEngine experience up to now. I‘m using CryEngine for three years now. Currently I‘m still using the GameSDK (I‘m just used to it). It was sadly always hard to find out how to get stuff done. But I managed to get most things working properly. So I started with the editor, then I got into asset creation, ui, programming, e.t.c.
By the way: I started with CryEngine because I really love CryTek. Maybe because I live near CryTek and they are the only big game studio around here.

So basically I learned everything step by step. The problem here is that I sadly got some knowledge gaps everywhere, just because I couldn‘t find out how it‘s done. This is really driving me crazy, because I have already spend three years (multiple hours every day) on my project. It would be a personal tragedy to me if I can‘t finish it because of a lack of knowledge.

So I‘m constantly checking the web for new leraning resources. But most of the time I‘m just dissapointed because no tutorial seems to really go into depth. People are just uploading 15 minute videos or writing a one-page-text. Everybody seems to be possessed by the idea of „if you really know a topic, you should be able to explain it in a short amount of time“. In my experience, complex topics can not really be broken down into a 15 minute video.

And the official CryEngine tutorial videos aren‘t really explaining anything. The problem here is that they only focus on one thing and then just go on without creating any connection. It feels like getting a few pieces of a big puzzle and then you need to create the whole thing from these few pieces.

I‘m sure that I‘m not alone here. Lot‘s of people are creating games and projects with CryEngine and are just getting stuck at some point. These people really need some in depth help. I‘m pretty sure that I‘m not the only one who thought about changing to Unreal or Unity multiple times. I just stayed with CryEngine because I love CryTek and because I‘ve already put so much love and effort into my project.

Now here is the point that I want to make that leads me to a more precise description of what I want. The first thing is this: please don‘t be afraid of 3 hour+ videos. A lot of beginners may find this „not user friendly“ because then they really need to spend some time and effort to actually leran CryEngine (surprise). I sometimes get the feeling that many beginners just want some magic „create game“ button that solves all their problems. Now this would be really nice but sadly that‘s not how things work. The people who are really willing to develop a game are aware of the fact that they will spend a lot of time learning. A complex topic (like Gane Creation) can not be broken down into a tutorial series of 50 videos with 15 minutes each (so just 12.5 hours). You can‘t teach how to develop a game in this time. You know... that‘s just half a day. In half a day you won‘t get from newbie to pro.
So please don‘t be afraid to take the time that is needed to teach a complex topic.

And now finally to my wish for learning resources: I would love to see a complete project (not just a mini game) from scratch. Like really scratch. I think about a tutorial series that is split in two parts. The first part should cover all basic stuff. Here you got the beginners covered (and here you can really create 15 minute videos). So basically the starting point should be to get used to the editor and take a look at all the systems and tools that the editor offers (Like Flowgraph, Trackview, Material Editor, Particle Editor and all that stuff). Then you can go over to asset creation. To teach a good creation pipeline, I would suggest to show the creation of a static geometry, an animated geometry, a breakable geometry, a touch bending geometry, also vertex colors for different stuff (like vertex deformation or a texture blend layer), and finally a character. Really from start to the point where it is finally inside the engine. Of course LOD, physics Proxies and textures should be covered here also. Then you could show how to create other assets like sound, animations, UI, e.t.c. and get them into the engine.

So after all of that, people should know their way around inside the editor and how to create and import all kinds of assets.

Now here it is getting really interesting. Because now we need to really get things done. So I suggest that you create a series of videos where you create an entire project from start to finish. Yes, I know what that means. This means that we would start with code implementation with player, AI, weapon system, inventory system, networking, VR, and really everything else. Then we should get a charater into the engine and use it as player/ai. So we should also learn how to create a proper skeleton with IK, Ragdoll limits, physicalization and all that stuff. Now there should also be the mannequin setup with blendspaces, transitions, procedural clips, lookposes, aimposes, e.t.c. and maybe a weapon or two with a proper mannequin setup also.
Furthermore some usable entities like buttons, levers, maybe also some kind of ledge (like in GameSDK), e.t.c. and in the end publishing the project with proper encryption, e.t.c.

So basically an entire project from start to finsih with a small level. I know that this is really hughe, but there is a clear line that gets people through everything. So people would know about the editor, about asset creation, programming and how to combine all of this. Currently this connection is missing. But with this approach, people would really get an entire overview about game creation and they would have a starting point. So the tutorials would simply be „one after another“ and not divided into categories like „Level Design“, „Asset Creation“, „Programming“, e.t.c.
I see why this seperation is done in current tutorials (also in Unreal Engine and other engines), but this speration results in an entire mess because nobody really knows whats going on. Everyone just gets a narrowed version of the entire thing. Well I think that everyone should really know the entire process before putting the focus on their specific task in the project.

But sadly there is a downside to this approach. Creating such a big thing would cost a lot of time (which is to say that some people would be busy for a long time to create these tutorials. So this will be pretty expensive aswell). And a tutorial series like this would need some maintanance aswell, because it is pretty likely needed to be updated with newer engine versions (which again costs time).

I know that this is pretty likely not going to happen. Creating an entire project from scratch is a really tedious and time consiming job. I know that I‘m basically asking for the creation of a basic GameSDK project.

So to end this off, here is my long story in short: It is not enough to touch the surface of everything. Please give us an in depth knowledge about the cration of projects from start to the point where you can release them. We need to get every aspect covered, so that we can create any game and customize AI, Player, GameRules, e.t.c.). So basically programming, asset creation and linking everything up together. It is not enough to produce some „mini projects“ or single tutorials. We need an entire production pipeline from start to finish.

If anyone is still reading this (like I‘ve mentioned: most people are used to some short input and won‘t even read a text like this one. Maybe even skip some parts), then I want to thank you for taking the time. I hope that my explanations might some day help us to get better training materials.

Wish you all an awesome day
- Jannis
Wow! Thanks a lot for this in depth explanation.
How-to WP