Lighting, TOD.

Hi guys. I have been working in this engine for quite some time. I think everyone noticed the problem with Tod. A scene will look good only when the desired angle of illumination from the sun falls well. But on the other side of the card, there is complete exposure. How to deal with this at all? I do not think that changing the angle of the sun using a trigger and a flow graph is a good option, it’s more like a crutch. How to make lighting everywhere good?
Last edited by breef_ua on Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Lighting, TOD.

Hi breef_ua,
the position of the Sun is just one tool among many available to the user in terms of setting up the environment in Cryengine.
In your case one position is looking better than the other because your assets are in such position that when sun is in one position then the light is flat,
in another it gives the objects more volume.
I would not recommend solving this by simply moving the sun position.

We recommend you first of all look at the examples of lighting setups by game artists.
Our own lighting artist at Crytek Lars Hofrichter has some great examples here.

These lighting setups utilize SVOGI - so Global Illumination in Integration Mode 1 as well as Environment Probes and local lights.
Once you can find an example of what you would like to achieve it will be a lot easier to work towards the result of having "lighting good everywhere".

Hi breef_ua,
the position of the Sun is just one tool among many available to the user in terms of setting up the environment in Cryengine.
In your case one position is looking better than the other because your assets are in such position that when sun is in one position then the light is flat,
in another it gives the objects more volume.
I would not recommend solving this by simply moving the sun position.

We recommend you first of all look at the examples of lighting setups by game artists.
Our own lighting artist at Crytek Lars Hofrichter has some great examples skylights here.

These lighting setups utilize SVOGI - so Global Illumination in Integration Mode 1 as well as Environment Probes and local lights.
Once you can find an example of what you would like to achieve it will be a lot easier to work towards the result of having "lighting good everywhere".
So if you use Global Illumination in Integration Mode 1 and have PVFO turned on, as you mentioned, is there any reason not to have 1 full set of lights and energy under the hood for optimizing efficiency? If so, why?
What is the real world environment like where you're operating? Is it very bright in the offices, for example? Is there a separate chiller setup for use with PVFO that will reduce the temperature?

Hey Viola_Milk,
not sure what do you mean by "PVFO".
Could you please elaborate on this?

With regards to lighting setup: with the current tech in 3d engines, you are bound to set the light up specifically for the effect you are looking for. It is currently neither practical nor fully possible to simply copy the real world lighting - you need to set up your lighting inside the project to look like the real world lighting. This is why there are diverse tools such as SVOGI, probes, point, spot, projector, area lights.

So, if we come back to the screenshot you had attached originally, I would recommend you use one of the gamesdk environment presets as a base for developing your own. And once you have decided on the purpose of the level - is it for a static image render, for a video fly-through, is it an interactive game project , - it will be much easier to decide how to set up the light and which tools to use. You can find out more about the tools in our tutorials, for example

and

And I was confused for the first time with the new cryengine, until I discovered "global illumination".
However, I noticed that some of the global lighting settings consume more resources.
And now as a joke: "global illumination" has something to do with Globalization :) ?