Re: how to import charactors The Climb - Asset Pack

most of the tutorials on youtube are garbage and un helpful Crytek's documentation is useless.

i was under the understanding there was a donation for the climb assets pack to be released so one wouldn't be wrong to expect them to have put some basic code and what not needed for it to be used in engine with out need for compiling the pieces in character tool.

would have been nice to have used the animations in schematyc and make a character using the pieces, instead of having the pieces to put in character tool

oh and the game sdk was not a starter game it was a compilation of assets used to learn with, how ever it is useless to learn because of Crytek's poor documentation.
and because its being depreciated.

its this way as the pack does not include the code for the models. As i said, you looking for a Starter game.
https://www.cryengine.com/marketplace/a ... sample-5-4
Like the one above.

No game engine will have everything ready to place for you as then thats not a game engine. A Game engine gives you the tools to make a game, by making a game, you do the charecter's and animations, code and all.

Cryengine is a more higher level engine meaning you have to have some experience to use it. Your logic's mean that you are not looking for a game engine, but a game engine with full packs that you download for no cost and it has all the work there for you. No one does that as then its not truly yours as its just someone else's work.

Going on youtube and seeing tutorials will help instead of making judgements on something just coz it gives you free assets will help in understanding how the engine works.

This is the most simplistic way to design a game out there. There is no engine that you download and it has all the code, animations, textures, models, and all, as thats just impossible and too costly for the people creating it.

The Donation was part of the Humble Bundle, and was not just one, as there was exclusive game levels, free games and much more included in it.

As the GameSDK, its like a starter level, and there are many others.

As for documentation, idk what you talking about as im currently developing a Open World MMO with no issues from documentation.
Youtube, you have to know where to look as some are from CE 3 and are outdated, but there are many very useful stuff on there, but as i said, its not a "Here is how to do it exactly, copy and paste, and here are the files" but "Here are the files/code, now you build off it" as they are meant to learn and teach you rather than have people copy everything word for word.

Once you get out of school and go to post education, you will realize, everything is "here are the tools, now you do it".

They want you to learn so you can create your dreams, not provide everything they have and have you make profit of their time and effort.

The Humble Bundle pack this was included in is here
https://www.cryengine.com/news/our-humb ... rab-a-deal

I agree on all of that @grb1212, perhaps not as plainly phrased but overall yea.

Always feels like an hour or two more would've fixed the issues for the average layman.....or some testing with their own sample FPS template!
(In latest Github preview, you can't even launch it without editing engine code related to rendering!)

Their repo is unbuildable (for different reasons each preview) without modification and what not, hence I made my own and shared it elsewhere.

Regarding GameSDK:
It's being deprecated according to everyone + CryTek, so aside from the assets (which are in of themselves undocumented and very very hard to parse through. I'm using it for blendspaces and it's painfully hard for me, ze unexperienced animator :\) its not much use. I really wish there'd be even one decent blendspace tutorial but after a year there ain't been no good ones out. This, unfortunately, extends to most of CE features. There are some decent-ish tutorials out there but they're rarely 'comprehensive' enough, maybe just the bare basics that aren't too hard to figure out by yourself.

Heck, I dont' think anyone's mentioned how to run a fragment with fragment tags in C++.....I'm prolly one of the few people who knows this out there. I really should make a tutorial :P
As it is I'm here to answer any questions you have! :D

@finchy, What many other starter levels? I'd love to check them out. The stock CE templates.....all of them are incomplete + have bugs like crazy. And poor non-looping animation assets etc.....
And I always miss the humble bundlez :<

Plus, adding documentation on how to use said tools and reducing setup time does not apply as 'copying word for word'. Copying would be.....literally using GameSDK as your game basis XD (which many unfortunately did.) It's the difference between compiling your own Linux kernel and just downloading Ubuntu 16.04 and using that. Especially since CE is trying to expand its community, it should really be trying to get the initial startup down to ~0. Download repo -> build -> boom! (with prepared sample project).

A package that has minimal user-side configuration is not a 'privilege' or a 'favor', its a must-have standard.

There's also no need to be all condenscending....if I was new, couldn't build a repo, was confused, and then got told that "You should try working harder, this isn't high school noob"......doesn't help me much and definitely doesn't improve my opinion of CE.

Regarding CE3 docs, most of them are MASSIVELY out of date and with every update get less and less relevant. To start with, we don't even use game object extensions. Plenty of calls have been renamed/abstracted away/rewritten. Only the Sandbox editor portion's would be even mildly relevant. A good example of a CE documentation/5.3 issue is that you can't drag->and->drop to view animations in the char editors, even though one of their guides has screenshots to show how it 'used' to work.

The animals in the Climb asset pack - some of them have no animations, the ones that do you can use an Animated Mesh component, as they are in the default Climb level. There are no Mannequin files.
I understand what you are saying and everyone here has valid points. The purpose of the Humble Bundle is to provide some assets you can use in your levels, some may be what you are looking for and others may not be (such as the lack on Mannequin setup on the animals, which afaik they never had).

The GameSDK deprecation has no date yet, we are still in the process of creating components and templates to help developers create the functionality they need so that they do not need the GameSDK.
It is still a valid option if you prefer the modding style of development. A full game will still likely require knowledge of several major systems that you want to use (Character Tool, if you want to have animated characters etc).

Currently the starter levels include; GameSDK (a full, small game that you can build upon), Launcher Templates (Basic starter frameworks to learn and build upon) and Sidewynder (a full game in C#). With Flappy Boid as an introduction/hands on game course.

personwithhat2;
Rather than providing a custom engine build which we cannot provide support for, it would be beneficial for all, if you would present us with the issues you face so we can fix them in the main build. Compilation issues are something we do test, and I do test this myself as I work on bits and pieces in my free time also. I have not noticed any compilation issues recently, can you provide examples by way of GitHub issue reports? We would love to see what seems to be the issue.

Let's keep this civil and on topic, we appreciate the feedback and constructive criticism and will take this on board.
If you still have trouble using the animals from the Climb asset pack we can try to help you find a solution.
Uniflare
CRYENGINE Community Coordinator
Here to help the community and social channels grow and thrive.

My personal belongings;
Beginner Guides | My GitHub | Splash Plugin

in as plain of a way i can put it. a project specifically designed to teach how to use all parts of the engine.

so far im liking schematyc and understand it is in progress but what is there currently, would be easier to learn if assets related to what it is currently capable of to use in the learning and understanding of schematyc graphing

f Crytek wants to attract new comers who are young, ambitious and are learning they need more than just the few examples then they have in projects and templates, the reason the gamesdk is wanted to be used is because it give a variety of elements to learn from.

it allows one to see all of the different pieces and to figure out how they work.

i have made a flame thrower and burnable trees and vegetation kind of cheesy but works.

also i recently made rocks you hit with a hammer and turn into bricks in schematyc, and you can collect them and when you have enough bricks can make walls and structures appear.

The animals in the Climb asset pack - some of them have no animations, the ones that do you can use an Animated Mesh component, as they are in the default Climb level. There are no Mannequin files.
I understand what you are saying and everyone here has valid points. The purpose of the Humble Bundle is to provide some assets you can use in your levels, some may be what you are looking for and others may not be (such as the lack on Mannequin setup on the animals, which afaik they never had).

The GameSDK deprecation has no date yet, we are still in the process of creating components and templates to help developers create the functionality they need so that they do not need the GameSDK.
It is still a valid option if you prefer the modding style of development. A full game will still likely require knowledge of several major systems that you want to use (Character Tool, if you want to have animated characters etc).

Currently the starter levels include; GameSDK (a full, small game that you can build upon), Launcher Templates (Basic starter frameworks to learn and build upon) and Sidewynder (a full game in C#). With Flappy Boid as an introduction/hands on game course.

personwithhat2;
Rather than providing a custom engine build which we cannot provide support for, it would be beneficial for all, if you would present us with the issues you face so we can fix them in the main build. Compilation issues are something we do test, and I do test this myself as I work on bits and pieces in my free time also. I have not noticed any compilation issues recently, can you provide examples by way of GitHub issue reports? We would love to see what seems to be the issue.

Let's keep this civil and on topic, we appreciate the feedback and constructive criticism and will take this on board.
If you still have trouble using the animals from the Climb asset pack we can try to help you find a solution.

keep in mind, they are a lot smaller communities and all then other engines. they also dont have as many people working for them as other engines. Notice the Hiring section on front page? You can see how many jobs are open. More open job postings means less people to do engine specific stuff.

The Engine department is also technically separate from the Game Dev section, so keep that in mind so they can only do so much with engine features.