Asset game Check

Hey,

This is a small idea i had in mind and think it would be easy to program. Say you have a game. The way it would work, is while the game is loaded, you would build a text file of all the assets currently used in that game. It would be used to help sort out the items that are not used for when building.

Let me know what you think

~Finch

Re: Asset game Check

Hey,

This is a small idea i had in mind and think it would be easy to program. Say you have a game. The way it would work, is while the game is loaded, you would build a text file of all the assets currently used in that game. It would be used to help sort out the items that are not used for when building.

Let me know what you think

~Finch
That will be really useful

Re: Asset game Check

Think of a large game where objects are created, resources used in very limited use-cases everywhere. Not even inside the level yet, rather spawned procedurally.
Your method it basically how the current shader cache building workflow is. Basically you go through the game (or automate a fly-through etc) that will make the engine requests certain shader permutations that are then recorded and built by the shader compiler. This is easier for shaders and multiple objects use the same shaders/shader permutations and so it is more encompassing.

For objects/resources themselves though, you're looking at playing every single scene, every element, all the secrets and closed off spaces where an asset may be used that one time. And you have to do this every patch, every release. It is possible, but it is a lot more work than you may think for larger games.
--

An easier option would be to have the resources ref counted externally/manually. Meta files that developers would increment/decrement on usage or removal of an asset. Although this could be very tedious also and sometimes the benefit of saving even a GB or data that is never used, is to spend that time developing.
Uniflare
CRYENGINE Community Coordinator
Here to help the community and social channels grow and thrive.

My personal belongings;
Beginner Guides | My GitHub | Splash Plugin