Re: CRYENGINE Learning Initiatives

Hey Brian, I'm looking forward to what you'll bring to the community.

If I may post my thoughts for learning material:

In addition to improved written documentation, covering glaring gaps (I can't find anything about using particle attributes) and improved c++ documentation, I'd like to see learning material & tutorials that are focused on more advanced cryengine-specific things like creating game loops with c++ and schematic 2.0 when it's released. While I appreciate the time and effort put into tutorials like using megascans with cryengine, using the designer tool, importing mesh and other basic how-to's, I don' t think they are really necessary. The basic how-to's should already be covered in documentation and I feel are easy enough to get ahold of by playing around in engine, and there are plenty of resources for general stuff like 3d modeling and texturing.

Edit: Also, I'd really like more tutorials, specifically audio programming with WWise for creating dynamic audio, like creating & linking rtpc triggers with WWise, or creating audio states like a combat state or idle state.

Guys, thanks for your feedbak! Please keep it coming.

However, I feel like I need to give a gentle reminder what this thread is for, and ask you all to focus on this topic. I had to clean up a lot of off-topic, derailing posts and I don't want anybody to be discouraged from posting their requests for tutorials here - which is the main topic, still.

• This topic isn't for telling Brian how to do his job. He just started. Let his work bear fruits and results before you provide further detail - don't be a dick, frankly.
  • It's also not for lengthy arguments how you aren't doing that at all.
  • This topic is by no means a rant-thread about what you hate about the CRYENGINE business strategy or documentation.
This topic is about Brian, our Learning Manager, who would like to have your suggestions for tutorials and learning content.

The fact that some people in here know exactly what they want our documentation to look like has been made clear. Thank you for that. However I issue you to

• not make double- or even triple posts about the same revolving idea; disrupting the cause of this thread.
  • not to highjack this thread by posting a large number of replies here. Think before you post, make one post that compiles your most relevant thoughts on the matter; and help us keep this thread free of wall-of-texts by making clear, comprehensive suggestions.
  • if truely necessary hide long texts behind spoiler/hidden tags and let others make suggestions, too.
  • discuss other community member's suggestions as well; but don't make this all about you and your ideas only.

Besides, while Documentation is part of learning; it makes NO sense to argue about how you feel tutorials are useless anyways because all you need are good docs in a topic that is actively asking for tutorial requests. That's thread-derailing and only discourages other people to post suggestions. Go on and make your own thread for that if you feel so strongly about beating a dead horse that you have to.

And no, my statement is not up for discussion at this point either. :) From this point on we will remove further disruptive content without further notice and posting derailing replies will warrant a warning. Thanks for your understanding!

Cheers,
Nic
CRYENGINE Community Developer

I'm manning the CRYENGINE stations on Facebook & Twitter as well, so come and say hi!
My personal Twittering may contain nuts.

Get to know me.

I don't think comparing, say, Unity documentation to that of the CryEngine documentation makes a lot of sense. Sure, that is where we'd like it to be, but CryEngine is relatively new to the whole 'engine as a service' thing. Unity has been around for many years, and they also have a much larger team (as far as my research goes). They have done loads to make the engine itself more usable - and it feels less and less like some in-house tool. Some of us are actually looking forward to the what the future brings for this engine - definitely more excited about the roadmap for this engine (for 2018) than for any other engine at this point. Once schematic 2.0 hits, and they add updated examples, I'll be switching from Unreal as I'm tired of baking light-maps - and you don't have to worry about royalties with this engine..

I would like to see some replacement for gameSDK. Sure, not everyone's interested in building FPS games, but I am. I stopped working with it since it is being deprecated, but there are so many cool tools and things in there, such as the smart objects system, cover, climbing over walls, ladders, lots of gun examples, vehicle examples, and more. These are things I have to build from scratch in other engines before I can even begin to test whether levels would be fun - and I don't want to buy some kit every time I want to do something either.
A modern sample, without the multiplayer component, would be invaluable - multiplayer code just makes the project even more difficult to take apart and study, and surely to keep the sample up to date. Gamesdk was awesome, and invaluable resource, so sad to see it being deprecated. Wish they had a sample like that, that they keep up to date and improve with each release - there are so many assets that they could use right out of gamesdk itself.

Finally, curricular help/content for educators/schools. Similar to what Foundry offers for Modo, Mari & Nuke. Unity has curriculum help for educators too. These are much more than simple videos, but instead curriculum and lesson ideas and assessment examples.

Oh yeah - please add the beta versions of the engine downloadable from the launcher, instead of having to manually get it from github and install it in some awkward way or something. People who are excited in testing out the cool new toys, but who are not programmers, will not find that a very user friendly approach (as compared to Unreal Engine).

Looking forward to what you come up with - cheers.

This is an excellent initiative, I really can't wait to see the new learning materials from Brian!

Couple of suggestions from my end:

• Keep the length of the videos less than 15 minutes each.
  • For larger tutorial series, please enumerate videos in a playlist, so it would be easier to follow them in a sequence.
  • Please continue doing video overviews of the new CE releases and feature showcases, those are really useful.
  • It would be nice to see tutorials demystifying some of the CE's systems. For instance, explain why people would choose C# over C++, or differences between Schematyc and Lua.
  • Currently, there are multiple ways of getting assets from a 3D program to the engine (via plugins or via the FBX importer) - would be nice to see detailed pros and cons of both approaches.
  • In my opinion, Helder Pinto's Cryengine 3 tutorial series is still the best CE learning resource available. Even though much has changed with CE since then, it is still somewhat applicable. Would be nice to see a similar project based tutorial approach, but with Brian's teaching prowess.
  • As a matter of fact, I am really liking what the Lumberyard team is doing with their video tutorials as of late. Definitely some of the best engine-related tutorials out there. Perhaps it is worth taking a look at those too.
  • Have some insider tips and tricks as well, similar to those found in the CE documentation (creating moss from Ryse, creating damage decals, etc.). Those are incredibly useful, and I can bet Crytek has a wealth of such knowledge, providing that in addition to developing an engine, they make their own games too.

That's all I could think for now. I am legitimately excited about this initiative, it is truly a sign for better things to come :)
Last edited by radishface on Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OutOfShadow wrote:
Oh yeah - please add the beta versions of the engine downloadable from the launcher, instead of having to manually get it from github and install it in some awkward way or something. People who are excited in testing out the cool new toys, but who are not programmers, will not find that a very user friendly approach (as compared to Unreal Engine).

Thanks for your feedback, Shadow and y'all!

On quote: While this is something that doesn't have to do with learning per se, let me jump in real quick and say that we're working on bringing Previews to the launcher. It's being worked at, yet release of this feature is TBD, still.
Nic
CRYENGINE Community Developer

I'm manning the CRYENGINE stations on Facebook & Twitter as well, so come and say hi!
My personal Twittering may contain nuts.

Get to know me.

@ cry. Good to know, looking forward to that.

I'd like to mention Release streams as you did with 5.0 and 5.1 would be welcome, kind of disappointing that you've been skipping a few (unless I missed them somehow). Short introductions to new tools during these streams were fun - watched those more than I should have I think. Also, bring back Angela De Castro - make the boys fall in love with her, and your engine's graphics (I'm looking at you Hunt, and Wolcen), and they'll never go away. Just read the comments on those streams & you'll get what Imma sayin.

I've been following Hunt - I wonder if they'll add modding support, or a stripped down kit similar to gameSDK (hopefully minus the multiplayer code) for excited, budding game dev's to mod. Then you could add some tutorials around that - should be a fun introduction to the engine.

Just a few ideas, take care now.

(Don't search for those videos, you'll keep watchin em over n over again. Just kitten...ya'll like cat jokes? Lul, cheers)

We need way more tutorials for schematyc. It's such an interesting feature for artists (I assume coders aren't using it that much), so tutorials explaining basic and maybe intermediate concepts would be golden. Like a basic tutorial on how to setup basic character movement with schematyc (pitch, yaw, holding a button to change the character speed (shift for sprinting for exemple), so on so forth). I think that what draws so many people to unreal is the fact that it barely takes 20 minutes to import your custom character and use it in game. Even a 5 years old child could create basic gameplay with unreal. Cryengine really needs to reach that level of ease to attract more indie devs. I also think that the character tool (for creating blendspaces) needs to be redone from scratch. Lumberyard got Emotion FX which is easy as pie. Unreal is also very simple to use, just drag your animations in the graph, set up the state machine, and you're done. In CE you have to manually place your character on the grid for each position, resize the grid, everything is buried under a bunch of menus, you also have to edit the blendspaces in a text editor to duplicate values and set them to positive (sure it's not complicated, but it's really rough). It's really a nightmare to use when you're used to other engines. I'm not trying to be mean, I LOVE Cryengine, but I think some key areas really need to be improved in order to attract more users.

This is amazing news, Cryengine!

Such a positive move to enable potential "CryEngineers" to learn the engine, in a more educational purpose. In my eyes I would love to see the tutorials aimed at catering for all levels of Cryengine. Which includes Environment Creation / Creating effective lighting for a particular scene, whether it be the one that is created in the previous "lessons", then in future releases or tutorials complete lessons for creating Generic FPS templates, RPG's, etc

But either way i look forward to seeing what Brian and the team release!