Optimizing and Rendering Fur in CE

Hey everyone, so I am hoping somebody can give me some guidance in this area. It is rather important, as the main character of my game is a Fox, and to render him correctly I need to know how to render fur in CE. As it is, I used 3Ds Max Hair and Fur modifier for the fur. I also used Vray to render the attached image. I would like to be able to import him into the engine as is. With the same or similar graphical quality. Is he too high def to be rendered in real time? He is approximately 53,000 polygons.

I know that the CryDocs mentioned using Ornatrix for fur. However, can I still use Hair and Fur modifier? I don't want to do more work if I can help it.
Attachments
Render_4K-1.jpg
Render_4K-1.jpg (181.03 KiB) Viewed 337 times

Re: Optimizing and Rendering Fur in CE

junfanbl wrote:Hey everyone, so I am hoping somebody can give me some guidance in this area. It is rather important, as the main character of my game is a Fox, and to render him correctly I need to know how to render fur in CE. As it is, I used 3Ds Max Hair and Fur modifier for the fur. I also used Vray to render the attached image. I would like to be able to import him into the engine as is. With the same or similar graphical quality. Is he too high def to be rendered in real time? He is approximately 53,000 polygons.

I know that the CryDocs mentioned using Ornatrix for fur. However, can I still use Hair and Fur modifier? I don't want to do more work if I can help it.

You indeed would need to use a module like Ornatrix or XGen in Maya to create polyplanes that can be used within CE. Modifiers and deformers with curves are not something that a standard game engine would actuvely support unless you use a plugin like Houdini and integrate it into the engine. In the past TressFX has also been integrated into CE3 with the game King of Wushu but that was a custom implementation.

Re: Optimizing and Rendering Fur in CE

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. So, when you say polyplanes are you talking about something like this:

http://polycount.com/discussion/183025/ ... -game-hair

Where in the link above the character has these cards coming off his face for the beard? If that is the case, will Ornatrix convert the guide curves on my model in Maya into these "polyplanes" for CryEngine? Unless I'm not understanding the process here. Either way if you could let me know that would be great.. It would certainly clear all of this up. Thanks!