5.4 Billboard feature: How to make it work? (Solved)

I was very excited about this new Billboard variable in the illum shader params in 5.4. I would love to make Billboard work in Cryengine. However so far no luck. Need some advise on how to make it work properly! Or is it just broken for now?

As you can see my plane just vanish when i activate the billboard param and a cut off shadow emerge .
Last edited by cinnabear on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Re: 5.4 Billboard feature: How to make it work?

So, for anyone interested in this topic, i figured it out.
For some reason the materiel gets tiled by 0,25 when the Billboard variable gets activated so you have to countertile your material by 4 in U and V direction.
Shadow casting will not be effected by the countertiling so it will look totally wrong.
Also make sure to activate two sided shading.

Well, you are supposed to render out a flipbook of the billboard, so that when you rotate your camera around it, it will load the correct image for the angle at which you are looking at it. It is actually called an "Imposter", You should try rendering a 4x4 flipbook (Squib) with 16 angles of your tree. Then rotate your camera around it. I think you will find it somewhat magical. Assuming of course that is fully integrated.

themodman101 wrote:Well, you are supposed to render out a flipbook of the billboard, so that when you rotate your camera around it, it will load the correct image for the angle at which you are looking at it. It is actually called an "Imposter", You should try rendering a 4x4 flipbook (Squib) with 16 angles of your tree. Then rotate your camera around it. I think you will find it somewhat magical. Assuming of course that is fully integrated.

Hey modman. Thanks for your response.
For some reason i wasn't even thinking that far but you're obviously right. So I set up a camera(orthographic) and lighting rig and created a batch render in 3ds max to render out the flipbook. The assest Y direction is the front and the camera has to rotate clockwise from there. Also the imposter plane has to face in Y direction when exported.
This is the result: (Wished there would have been some documentation though.)