Re: CRYENGINE 5.4 PREVIEW dedicated Feedback Thread

• Platform: Windows
    Build: as shipped
    Version Number: 5.4.0_preview7
Feature Request:

1. Ability to expose in Editor(Sandbox) an EntityComponent as member of another EntityComponent when reflecting, this is not possible now or at least i wasn't able to do it, always got compiling errors,
this is possible in UE4(AActor) and Unity(GameObject) ,this feature will allow more flexibility and reusability of the EntityComponent , a simple example: allow a EntityComponent to use another EntityComponent as trigger and able to change from the editor the EntityComponent that acts as a trigger

code ex:

Code: Select all

static void ReflectType(Schematyc::CTypeDesc<MyComponent>& desc) { desc.AddMember(&MyComponent::otherComponent, 'othr', "Other", "Other", "Other Component", nullptr); } protected: IEntityComponent* otherComponent;
2. Add an option in the editor(Sandbox) to generate a CPP Entity Component, similar as UE4 does, that you are able to click on Create Cpp Component, and this will generate cpp boilerplate files ready to use https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/IN ... index.html

Installed 5.4 Preview 7. It's working but I have an annoying problem. When I double click a .cryproject file it opens up fine the first time. However, if I close CryEngine and then double click the .cryengine file again, I get a Launch editor dialog:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (8.37 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
which is weird, because that is an old preview release I deleted.

I can workaround the issue by re-running CRYENGINE_preview_5.4.0.151_pc\InstallEngine.bat before I launch a project, but it's a pain.

How can I stop CryEngine from trying to revert to this old 5.4 preview release which I no longer have?

Thanks for the suggestion mknmknmknjk. Unfortunately, I didn't get to test your idea because I figured out what was wrong before I saw your post.

I ended up looking for references to my old install in the registry and in AppData and turns out there is a file in AppData\Local\Crytek\CRYENGINE\cryengine.json which had a reference to my old 5.4 preview release that I had deleted. Running InstallEngine.bat did not update the 5.4 entry in the file. See the problem file in the code block below.

However, manually deleting the engine-5.4 section of the json file and then re-running InstallEngine.bat did the trick. I did notice that a new engine-5.4 section was not created in this file, not sure why but it seems to be working.

Code: Select all

{ "engine-5.3": { "info": { "id": "engine-5.3", "name": "CRYENGINE 5.3", "version": "5.3.4" }, "uri": "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Crytek\\CRYENGINE Launcher\\Crytek\\CRYENGINE_5.3\\cryengine.cryengine" }, "engine-5.4": { "info": { "id": "engine-5.4", "name": "CRYENGINE 5.4", "version": "5.4.0" }, "uri": "C:\\Users\\doug\\Downloads\\CRYENGINE_preview_5.4.0.120_pc\\cryengine.cryengine" } }

For the 5.4 previews we changed the location where the cryengine.json is located (it's at %USERPROFILE%/.cryengine/cryengine.json in the preview builds). To still have the data about previously installed engines it also checks the old locations where the file was saved, but only writes to the new location. That's why your file wasn't updated after registering the engine again.
For the final release the location is switched back to %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Crytek\CRYENGINE so we don't fill your user folder with even more folders. So starting with the 5.4 release the %USERPROFILE% and %LOCALAPPDATA% locations will be deprecated and will only be read from if there is no cryengine.json file located in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%. But it will only write to the %ALLUSERSPROFILE%.