CRYENGINE 5.4 PREVIEW dedicated Feedback Thread

Hi CryENGINEERS,

As you all know, we just released CRYENGINE 5.4 Update Preview this week. As a preview with the branch still being in stabilization phase, we need your help to iron out the details. Many of you have asked to participate in a beta feature and help us test the engine on previous occasions; and while those plans are still being discussed, this Preview we released through GitHub is our way of testing the waters and find a process that works for everybody.

This is a dedicated topic to collect your feedback in addition to the Launcher crash reporter, the GitHub Issue tracker and GitHub pull requests which we just established a process for. Please make sure you submit your feedback in the following format - we even made a copy/paste form for you to save you some work.

When submitting feedback for the engine build, please make sure your reply to this topic is formatted like this:

Code: Select all

Title: [TOOL] - Gist of Problem/List [list][b]OS:[/b] Windows 7, 10 etc. [b]Build:[/b] as shipped, or compiled from GitHub? [b]Version Number:[/b] Exact version number: (e.g. A.B.C.D)[/list] - Additional relevant info, summarized, see below for options to include. - Exact steps to reproduce the error, if you are encountering a bug. Attachments if applicable: DxDiag Crash Report/LogFiles Image of Error notification
Never just post the contents of a DxDiag or Crash Log File into a post! Attach it to the post as a document instead. Use the Spoiler tag to hide massive lines of code etc. so forum pages don't get cluttered.
Image Another thing: If the engine / sandbox crashes, and the crash reporter pops up, please provide additional information about the problem as is recommended. Just let us know what you did before the crash. It helps us a lot to identify issues quicker.

For additional information, please kindly review our 'How to submit Feedback-Guide' before posting to make sure all the information is validly displayed and communicated to our engineers can process it well.

Thanks for helping us improve the engine, guys! We couldn't do it without you. Have fun testing and keep those bugs coming until we get them all,

sincerely,

The CRYENGINE Team
Nic
CRYENGINE Community Developer

I'm manning the CRYENGINE stations on Facebook & Twitter as well, so come and say hi!
My personal Twittering may contain nuts.

Get to know me.

Re: CRYENGINE 5.4 PREVIEW dedicated Feedback Thread

I have a question about latest terrain blending features with 5.4 preview..

Terrain shader has some new params, etc.. everything works. What i dont understand from Joe Garth short introduction video about new terrain features is magick decal that he use.. i dont see anything new about Decal and about magick checkbox in geometry properties something like " Objects terrain integration" which I do not have .. have some light?

Mind revolution for terrain object integration, go into level settings. Near the top should be a new checkbox labeled terrain integration or something like that. Check that. Then spawn in a new object entity and one of the drop down inputs should have terrain integration as an option (I think it's the global illumination setting). Check that and the object should be integrated into the terrain now.

I haven't been able to figure out how the decal for terrain texture blending works either.

Mind revolution for terrain object integration, go into level settings. Near the top should be a new checkbox labeled terrain integration or something like that. Check that. Then spawn in a new object entity and one of the drop down inputs should have terrain integration as an option (I think it's the global illumination setting). Check that and the object should be integrated into the terrain now.

I haven't been able to figure out how the decal for terrain texture blending works either.
Thank you, it works.. yeah, we must wait some light on Decal..

Title: [5.4 Preview Build 83] - Create new Level
    Build: as shipped
    Version Number: Exact version number: 5.4.0 Build 83
# relevant info:
--> unrar (CRYENGINE_prerelease_5.4.0.83_pc.zip) into a new separate folder (CRYENGINE_marketplace_5.4.0.83_pc)
--> Sanbox start via \bin\win_x64\Sandbox.exe
--> Sanbox start:OK, no Errors
--> Try to create a new Level: File > New
--> Choose the correct path like (created) /Assets/Levels/test/test.cry
--> Don't work, Error message; 'Please enter a valid location.'
--> Loading an existing one from the latest 5.3.4 Build 47 don't work neither

# Image of Error notification
Image # Attachments if applicable:
DxDiag
attached to post because of 87317 chars and 1551 lines of output.

Crash Report/LogFiles
Editor.log

Spoiler!  Show

Attachments
DxDiag.rar
(13.39 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

currve
1) unpack 5.4 to C:\Program Files (x86)\Crytek\CRYENGINE Launcher\Crytek\CRYENGINE_5.4
2) go to CRYENGINE_5.4\Tools\CryVersionSelector with RMB + shift to start cmd under admin a type a line - "crySelector.exe Install"
3) then go back to CRYENGINE_5.4/cryengine.cryengine - select and register engine
4) go to CRYENGINE_5.4\Templates\cpp\ and copy one of them (needed template) to for example C:\MyCryProject\
5) go to C:\MyCryProject\ and select Game.cryproject choice Switch engine version to 5.4
6) again select Game.cryproject and generate solution for VS
7) open Solutions\Game.win_x64\Game.sln and have a fan with coding )
8) optional: if you need edit level select C:\MyCryProject\Game.cryproject then choice "Launch editor"

[Environment Probe] - Bake problem/Others
    Build: as shipped on github
    Version Number: 5.4 Preview build 83
    Templates: Blank from engine folder
- Problem with Env.probe, reflective materials does not see indirect/ambient term that Env.probe bake for shadows, even after second generation of probe it does not fix( old engine workflow). Secons small problem with probe and its reflection - it has some noise, white spots around reflective balls in reflection when smoothness is less than 255( see picture below, second small ball) its old problem from 3.6, etc..

I have atach 2 images, first with just environment probe and what it bake and whats reflective materials see, second one with SVOGI was enabled and what Env.Probe bake and what see reflective materials. Problem with First one- reflective materials does not see indirect of objects that probe bake(Old workflow fix this by second generation of probe), problem with second one- reflective materials see indirect from objects, but does not see reflections in reflection, so the balls in reflection is just black..

-New level, 2 objects, for second one reflective material, reset TOD, angle for sun around 40, Environment probe
Image Image
As a workaround, you need 2 Env.probes, one for shadows, second for reflections..

[CVAR] - r_HDRDebug cvar does not work
    Build: as shipped on github (CRYENGINE_prerelease_5.4.0.83_pc)

it's important, fix please!

[SVOTI] - Use light probes/ modes1-2

Use light probes checkbox in SVOTI properties does not change/work with modes 1-2, only with mode 0

Love substance integration 8-)

[Material Editor] - Rename material
Rename material option have a problem, instead of renaming, it is create new material with new name.. and as result, objects that have this material get lost their material..

Also, it will be good to fix or add abillity for material creation option to create folders, because right now material editor does not see folder "Materials" that created in asset browser and dont have option to create this folder in material editor itself.. probably i can move asset later in asset browser, but still.. Right now only manual creation of folder "Materials" in your project make it visible inside Material editor when create new material

[CVAR/Toolbar ViewModes] - r_DebugGbuffer modes problem
    Build: as shipped on github (CRYENGINE_prerelease_5.4.0.98_pc)
    Version Number: 5.4 Preview build 98
View modes still have some artefacts..
Image Image
Last edited by mind revolution on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 16 times in total.