CryEngine V - choose audio solution

I get a little confused with CryEngine V audio solutions.
In this article, I see
Audio Tools
Audio Translation Layer (ATL)

Unprecedented freedom to chose your middleware

With the recent release of the Audio Translation Layer (ATL), CRYENGINE agnostically communicates with whichever audio middleware you prefer, such as CRI, FMOD or Wwise
What is CRI?

In this tutorial video, he said
We have Wwise, FMOD, and then we also have our own internal solution called THE SDL MIXER
So Is the sdl mixer this sdl mixer?
I think that Wwise & FMOD is proprietary sound engine, so what happen if I use them (in CryEngine V)?
Small tips
How to add an image to a forum post
[C++] How to smoothly turn your character

Re: CryEngine V - choose audio solution

If you use FMOD Studio or Wwise you need to check out the licensing of the specific middleware on their sites.

CRI = https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CRI_Middleware

SDL Mixer and PortAudio is as basic as it goes. Volume, Panning etc... but no banks or no reverb / chorus effects.

Personally i use FMOD Studio becouse it's very simple to use and it has nice licensing terms. Also the interface is much better. Never liked the Wwise UI.

SDL Mixer and PortAudio is as basic as it goes. Volume, Panning etc... but no banks or no reverb / chorus effects.
Thanks for your reply :) Port Audio is new to me, I google the Port Audio but I can't find anything to read about (I vaguely remember that I saw Port Audio around CryEngine V somewhere, but don't remember where)
... but no banks or no reverb / chorus effects.
I'm really new to sound engine, so I don't really understand what SDL Mixer/Port Audio can't do compare to what FMOD can do. But can I sum it up like this?: SDL Mixer/Port Audio can't do special sound effect, it can only play exactly what the sound file has and can do 3D sound, also it can play multiple sound, background sound,... at the same time?
Small tips

...Port Audio is new to me, I google the Port Audio but I can't find anything to read about (I vaguely remember that I saw Port Audio around CryEngine V somewhere, but don't remember where)
PortAudio is a low level audio renderer. You'll find corresponding documentation here. http://www.portaudio.com/
While we do release the engine source code with a super basic implementation we do not officially support it hence not mentioning it in official channels. It's rather something experimental that audio code savvy people are invited to play around with.

I'm really new to sound engine, so I don't really understand what SDL Mixer/Port Audio can't do compare to what FMOD can do.
Fmod and Wwise are professional audio middlewares that are used across many AAA type game productions and other non-game applications. They offer a rich feature set and designer UI for a streamlined workflow and data abstraction. SDL_mixer and PortAudio on the other hand are super simple implementations that offer a limited set of functionality. The SDL_mixer implementation currently allows for 2D/3D playback and distance based attenuation while PortAudio in its experimental stage only allows for 2D playback.

About CRI ADX2, it was brought up as part of the big audio middlewares on this planet and to emphasize the fact that it could as well be neatly implemented to CRYENGINE. We hope to be able to spend some time on that in the future but don't have concrete plans to that regard, btw the same applies to The Miles Sound System.
But can I sum it up like this?: SDL Mixer/Port Audio can't do special sound effect, it can only play exactly what the sound file has and can do 3D sound, also it can play multiple sound, background sound,... at the same time?
Pretty much yes except for the current experimental stage of the PortAudio implementation cannot playback 3D sounds.

About CRI ADX2, it was brought up as part of the big audio middlewares on this planet and to emphasize the fact that it could as well be neatly implemented to CRYENGINE. We hope to be able to spend some time on that in the future but don't have concrete plans to that regard, btw the same applies to The Miles Sound System.
Cool, but CRI ADX is also proprietary, so I think the users need to consider about license stuff with this, am I right?
About The Miles Sound System, I don't know if it's free, even though Wiki did mention
The 1992 AIL version 2 for DOS has been released by John Miles as open-source (public domain with out restrictions) in 2000.
I don't know what you think about OpenAL-soft. IMHO, it's free, open source, it can do better than SDL_Mixer, but it's a little hard to use, but still good, I think.
Small tips