Tottaly new Cry Engine, but 20 years in CGI, and cannot figure out how to open a sample project.

Tottaly new Cry Engine, but 20 years in CGI, and cannot figure out how to open a sample project.
This is embarrassing but I am completely clueless in Cry Engine. I can't even open a downloaded sample , and individual mesh assets do not import. Basically nothing happens, when I open a project. File/Open/Project navigate to folder where *.cryproject select the file and OPEN. Nothing happens. Sandbox scene is empty. Same for Layer import and downloaded asset (from Cryengie site). The downloaded asset are *.pak format which I have no clue as to what it is. File does not even appear in Import Files dialog.

Dragging and dropping from folder into Sandbox is likewise, not accepted. Is Cry and Sandbox really that complicated?

Re: Tottaly new Cry Engine, but 20 years in CGI, and cannot figure out how to open a sample project.

Hi there!

By sample project, what do you mean? Is there a specific asset that you're trying to test? If so, could you link it so others can identify where you might be going wrong and help you through it.

In the meantime, I recommend visiting our docs page: https://docs.cryengine.com/ and our youtube. Try watching some tutorials on working in cryengine. I highly recommend our flappy boid tutorials here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpCg ... RzYYENbEbr

As for .pak files, those are cryengine compressed files that are automatically read by the engine when inside your Assets folder. You don't need to drag and drop them into the sandbox editor. Just leave them in your assets folder in explorer and they'll automatically be available inside sandbox.

Re: Tottaly new Cry Engine, but 20 years in CGI, and cannot figure out how to open a sample project.

As for .pak files, those are cryengine compressed files that are automatically read by the engine when inside your Assets folder. You don't need to drag and drop them into the sandbox editor. Just leave them in your assets folder in explorer and they'll automatically be available inside sandbox.
[/quote]

Thank you, but I just do not get what you are saying. "leave them in assets folder in explorer.." What?Huh? They are not available in sandbox. Thats what confuses me. Same issue as with sample project. Its the Game SDK free asset project from Cry site. Opening the project does nothing. Nothing happens. Sandbox remains empty. How does an asset end up in layout in Sandbox? How is it added. Just importing the file does nothing. There is no picon of it in Assets tab. Nothing!

Inside your file explorer, where your project is located, is a collection of folders like Assets, Code, Bin, Tools, Etc.. If the pak files are inside the Assets folder, they'll be available inside the sandbox when it loads.

As for sandbox being empty, I don't understand this. Do you mean there's no level loaded? No asset browser window? Or that it opens then closes entirely?
For the first, it doesn't automatically load any levels, you have to double click on the level you wish to load.
If you can't do this because the Asset browser doesn't show, you can bring the editor window up by going to Tools > Asset browser.

If neither of these apply to your situation, please provide a screenshot of what you are seeing so I have a better understanding of your problem.

Empty as in empty. As if a user creates new project. There multiple tabs in Sandbox, Asset Browser, Camera view, but no content. Now when I open a downloaded example project, after selecting *.cryproject file OPEN, Sandbox takes a few seconds, then... Nothing happens. Sandbox remains empty. No assets, empty layout, no layers, no levels. Nothing!

Same for importing props. I downloaded free props from Cry site, which is a *.pak file. But unable to import it, as there is no *.pak file available as a valid file. Force selecting *.pak to import results in nothing. I attempt to import an OBJ as asset, select it press import, then.. nothing. No asset is shown . Same for ABC, FBX.

Is the GameSDK sample the same version as your engine version? There are multiple versions of it, and you want the one that matches your engine version.

As for the .pak thing, as I said before, you don't import them. You don't add them in sandbox at all.
The pak files are added to the Assets folder inside windows explorer. Click on the menu option on your project and Reveal in Explorer. From there, double click Assets folder. Put your pak files in there. Once you load up Sandbox, they should automatically be read by the engine and their contents accessible inside Sandbox.

If they're not accessible, please point to which assets aren't working so they can be investigated.

Once again. When I do what is described. NOTHING happens. Nothing as in nothing. There are no assets in Assets tab, the layout is empty. So once again to recap
When I open a downloaded projected, for version of Sandbox I have installed, noth9ing happens after I select *.cryproject file and click open.
When I import an asset via obj, FBX, or ABC. Likewise, after selecting the file and clicking on Import. Nothing happens. Sandbox remains empty.
Why is a concept happens, is so difficult to grasp?
Maybe I am missing something basic.