Considering porting from UE4

Hello CryEngine. I'm growing desperate to move past a known bug in UE4, D3D device being lost, something plaguing many hundreds of users, some kind of illegal instruction to the system (most probably GPU) causes Microsoft TDR to shut down the game and often the PC. I've long been curious about CryEngine, my concerns are largely about how well my particular workflow will behave in the engine, if someone could broadly help me sort out the big picture.

My work lives somewhere between pure R&D and VR and projected 3D deliverables to education and industry. I've developed a patented 3D capture system that's go-anywhere and provides for a cinematic approach to textures, including diffuse/specular separation (still hammering out how to engage the latter in a spec channel), see www.photo2topo.com for samples of these virtual environments. My background as a film maker, I'm yet noobish to the CG landscape, though I've developed a pipeline taking me from RealityCapture (RC) through ZBrush, 3DS Max, and UE4. The focus in the game engine is all about the fidelity of a scan-based environment, not the game play. To leverage occlusion culling, I can split big sets into parts, setting max vers per part in RC, exporting many hundreds of chunk fbx with common scale/coordinate system. While I'm aware that displacement and normal maps are leveraged to optimize otherwise heavy geometry, I've yet to implement either, in part because I've not developed the pipeline to batch process baking such maps for these many hundreds of fbx meshes. Normal maps and possibly displacement maps will come, but for now I'm wondering how CryEngine will respond to my as is heavy geometry. As a point of comparison, one UE4 project sustains 90+ fps with 43 million tris (GoBoxx gaming laptop with 64 GB RAM, GTX 1080). So, does occlusion culling win similar optimization in CryEngine? I understand Unity devs can produce similarly impressive results, but is vastly restrictive on max polycount, a few million, and I see little promise in my personal ability to ramp up learning how to optimize to that level.

Out of the box, UE4 afforded me this leap in optimization and then the gorgeous lighting. I see CryEngine's lighting engine is also killer, so is PBR in Unity, but how steep is the learning curve achieving beautiful lighting in CryEngine? To note, I'm less interested (at this point) with natural lighting, atmospherics, cube maps, etc. as my subject matter is still largely about fully light-denied environments, such as caves and mines. Natural lighting there is the blackest black. I'm using gesture-controlled lighting and sophisticated animated "stage lighting" to make these otherwise dark environments come alive as never seen before in the real world. How friendly is CryEngine out of the box killing the sky light, post-processing volume, and throwing in point or spot lights to achieve something akin to what I'm used to seeing in UE4?

I'm no coder, work with a good one, but have decent ground knowledge of how to use Unreal's Blueprints to develop a scene and script gameplay. What is the counterpart of that in CryEngine, what scripting language is used?

I very much need plugin support for three hardware peripherals: 3dConnexion SpaceMouse (for cinematic 6-axis motion controller, key in demos); support for 3D format side-by-side standard (often output to 3D projector or monitor); plugin for Leap Motion Controller. Where is CryEngine

In terms of licensing, how does that look for a smaller-than-indie developing IP on the scan side, slowly building business on the scan side, currently providing the occasional soup-to-nuts service to education and industry, scanning highly inaccessible environments and delivering a serious game package? These are currently onsey twosey, though this might change with a number of world class commercial caves interested to have the wild sections of those caves virtualized.

Thanks for your help.

Benjy

Re: Considering porting from UE4

Hey there, i myself moved from UE4 to Cryengine to work on my current project. I had to restart everything from scratch but i had all my assests kept to be re used.
Well, the issue that that you pointed about the blueprint system , yes Cryengine has something similar that is called "Flowgraph". I found more easier to use than the bleuprint. the coding language is C++ but C# was introduced as well.
For the lighting and picture quality, it gives mostly the same result you would have gotten from UE4 but this without exhausting your hardware. In terms of tutorials, on the official youtube account of cryengine you will find all the tuts that you need to speed learn the basics.

I hope these can help you in making your decision. hope to see your game come to be.

Re: Considering porting from UE4

Thanks for sharing your experience, encouraging. I know it seems out of proportion to place much weight on questions about support for 3dConnexion SpaceMouse and Side-by-Side output, but in my case they're critical to my audience. (I present to an audience geared at serious games). I read there is support for SpaceMouse, but only partial. I'm still trying in UE4 on the Mac side, a couple ideas how to restore UE4 stability on PC, so we'll see. But thanks for taking the time.