Nvidia & CryEngine problem?

Disclaimer: I'm not entirely sure this is the appropiate forum for posting this, but it seemed the most appropiate. I've posted the same message over at NVidia.

So I tried to run Kingdom Come: Deliverance today, which uses the CryEngine. I have an Nvidia 760 card in my computer. Now when I run it, it all goes well through the intro movies, but then when we get to the game menu, it shows the menu for a few seconds on the first run, after which the screen jumps to black, and the second monitor jumps to a plain yellow. When I run the game again, it doesn't even show the menu, it jumps straight to black on both monitors. Meanwhile, the music keeps playing in the background. Keyboard commands such as ctrl-alt-del, alt-tab or ctrl-shift-esc might work or migth not work, the monitor at any rate does not come back to live.

Then I recalled I had the exact same problem when I tried to run Prey a while back. And sure enough, prey uses the Cryengine too. Then I recalled I also had issues with so much as launching Crysis on this rig.

So I figure there is some sort of issue running CryEngine games on my Nvidia card / software. I've updated all the drivers, I've updated windows. I've even gotten the vacuum cleaner to clean the blades, figuring the off chance of overheating in 5 secs might cause the card to shut down.
I'm running a 2 monitor set up (usually), so I've unplugged the second monitor. This led to a repeat of the menu showing for 5 secs, and then blackness, and straight to blackness on the second try.
I've tried to access the settings of KC:D via geforce experience, but it says it cant retrieve them, so there is no way (I think) to tinker with the settings, as I get a black screen.

And now I'm at a loss on how to get things working.

Re: Nvidia & CryEngine problem?

Hey there,

usually CRYENGINE games run great on Nvidia cards and we wouldn't know of any factory specific compability issues off the mill.

Have you considered the recommended specs for running KCD? Maybe your rig isn't up to the challenge? I posted them below:
OS: OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1) or Windows 10. Processor: Intel CPU Core i7 3770 3,4 GHz, AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz. Memory: 16 GB RAM. Graphics: Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 1060, AMD GPU Radeon RX 580.
Generally speaking many things can go wrong that would cause the card to glitch out like that; could be a compatibility issue with your board as well or many other things. I'd recommend to look into the KCD forums for help because it's likely someone encountered a similar issue before if it is a wide-spread thing.

Cheers,
Nic
CRYENGINE Community Developer

I'm manning the CRYENGINE stations on Facebook & Twitter as well, so come and say hi!
My personal Twittering may contain nuts.

Get to know me.