Terrain making with Picture??

Hy to all.. i have an important question for me. I need for my Project an Picture.. like a map from google-maps, or one from Gimp as Background for exatly Positioning my Building in the Map. Is that possible??? i want make my town like it was befor 300 years...

Re: Terrain making with Picture??

I've done this before. You will have to tweak the resolution of the map image to make it the right size. I just used trial and error using the scale that comes in the lower corner of Google maps until it lined up with an object of that size in the game.

If you're using photoshop you can use guides to cut the image into tiles and then use that in cry engine. I imagine gimp would be similar. For example if your texture is 1024 x 1024 you can divide it into 4 tiles within photoshop of 512 x 512.

Re: Terrain making with Picture??

Hy to all.. i have an important question for me. I need for my Project an Picture.. like a map from google-maps, or one from Gimp as Background for exatly Positioning my Building in the Map. Is that possible??? i want make my town like it was befor 300 years...
If you want to make a terrain using heightmap then you could use heightmap option in terrain editor.If you want to make heightmap from maps you can simply try https://terrain.party/ and you can make something big terrain using those heightmaps.Make sure to convert images into tif format using photoshop crytiff exporter.
terraintexure.png
terrain
terraintexure.png (5.67 KiB) Viewed 292 times
If you want to make a minimap using google maps or similar one then first use minimap tool for making a terrain minimap texture.
minimap.png
minimap
minimap.png (2.66 KiB) Viewed 292 times
Then goto level folder and you could find a tiff and dds image.Delete the .dds file and replace tiff image with your custom map file with correct resolution (512x512 or 1024x1024 etc).Make sure don't change the name of the image which minimao produced itself.
minimap_tif.png
tiff image
minimap_tif.png (20.72 KiB) Viewed 292 times
:)

Edit:
Remember before replace the tiff file first open it and observe the pole of the map and should match it with your custom map image.If not then minimap will be useless.
Vishwajith Weerasinghe