Textures and Materials

Hello everybody. I am extremely new to this and I have been having some issues. I watched tutorials and they showed creating land and covering it with a texture and adjusting the color, but it doesn't seem to work that way when i try. I download my texture packs, copy them into the asset folder and try to create a new project and use them, but they are not there. Then, I finally was able to get one of them to show up (only in project sdk) it showed different textures, but it was all that ... basic gray look, and I couldn't figure out how to put color on it. I know this is probably a super easy solution but I was tired of searching for videos on how to do it. Please help me figure this out.

Re: Textures and Materials

I am not one to understand things easily, so I apologize if I misunderstood your problem.
It seems that you may have misinterpreted the definitions of materials vs textures as being the same (in my understanding, they are not). As a beginner who has done more work on the programming end, I'm not entirely familiar yet either.
In any case GameSDK (which you downloaded and used as your main project I assume), should have the necessary textures and materials in it. While you have been watching tutorials all day to no avail, I can only ironically offer another tutorial that, if followed precisely, should guide you directly:
How to create a level, terrain and terrain texture | Getting Started:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFBCxBSzMzQ
And also, the Documentation page for it:
If this tutorial doesn't work, try going through your steps to us in more detail so that we can troubleshoot what's going on.

I appreciate it,but i have watched that video over and over. Starting at 3 minutes and 49 seconds, I set the new layer, I add the texture, I add the material and then nothing paints. No color, no texture, nothing. don't know what i am doing wrong. I don't know how to add a picture on here or I would post a picture of what my screen looks like, and you guys could tell me what is wrong.

This post discusses how to post images on this forum: viewtopic.php?t=7076
Which version of CRYENGINE are you running? If you are using GameSDK you should have four paintbrushes already showing up to edit with when you open up the woodland level. Do any of those work on your terrain? Maybe you're not in the right place and opening up the wrong material or texture files (swapping the two)? Maybe try changing the filter color (may be opaque)? Or your max/min height/angle is prevent coloring? Be sure that you are looking for materials/textures in the GameSDK folder and not the Engine folder when selecting a material as there are two folders in GameSDK and the Engine folder doesn't have what you're looking for.