Future of Cryengine

Sorry but I read something online here: https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/commen ... d_in_2017/ I'm worried about this! I know this happened also in 2015 at that time Crytec is also not paying salaries to its employees and now it's starting again?! At that time many good developers moved to other game studios.

So my question is: what is going on and do we have to worry about this is or is this an isolated incident? Or maybe is this just fake news?

Re: Future of Cryengine

- I think it depends
....on the games they release next (HUNT?!)
....the reputation of Cryengine. Since the release of CE V many things have improved but lots of people still relate CE to the older less accessible versions. I think CE 5.5 could be kind of a turning point as it brings the new material editor which is one of the most important tools.

Btw. When I looked at the statistics when the new forums were introduced in february they had around 5k members (as far as I can remember). Now they have 11k. If this is no bug or something like this it could be seen as some kind of improvement.

I still hope the best for Crytek and the employees! (Also I hope they release a licensee showcase video during the gdc this year... )
Artstation

It's very unlikely that such a powerful engine will die. If Crytek really die then maybe a separate team will keep working on it, or maybe the team that works on the engine will keep working on it anyway. Just look at how old is blender, and it's free. They've got less money than Crytek afaik. Also, it seems like more people are starting to use the engine. There is more activity on this forum than before, and more indie games are being made with it. Schematyc is probably one of the best things I've ever seen in a game engine. I really think 5.3 is a new starting point and future updates will keep attracting newcomers.

Let's hope Crytek gets out of the trouble soon. Have to admit that I appreciate the work they put into engine and efforts of modernizing and expanding it.

Also I feel sorry for the guys who according the reddit post don't get paid, I've been there with some companies in the past (non game dev - hi tech company) and can see the pain especially if they need to support family. However I don't believe that going to public forums, sites is going to help them. What an kiddish behaviour. This can ruin the image of the company, thus have influence on the income and sales of their newly released titles.

Personally I'd think it's better idea to talk to the stuff internally, be blunt and if they don't receive honest answer leave the company if they must and seek support via official ways. Otherwise going publicly about it is just wrong and unethical imo as it harms the company image, and worsens the future of people who are still working in the company.

In regards to engine - I love it and I can appreciate being able to use it on the current model and hopefully I will be able to pay off / give back something to community once I release the game. As it's awesome thing to be able to use at all without paying expensive licenses.

As a CE user though I think some official news / comments from Crytek could help to straiten external reddit discussions. I'm surprised how people take real life difficult situation, just average users and blow it out, which eventually harms someone else name and real hard working people within the company.

Also can't get rid of the impression (as outsider) that many employees think about their own buts, learn something from the company and are too short-sighted to understand potential issues and difficulties. I suggest setting up your own company and run it better instead of excuse my word shitting into someone else nest. People learn engine/ technology, exploit it, learn from it and then become 'big devs' and condemned any other if they don't agree with them (talking about this disgusting sites as glassdoor or similar). Some of the ex-emplyees feedback can be honest and constructive, whereas other clearly is a result of being unhappy and sitting on the high horse, thinking, uh-ah they condemned my decisions, etc... Sick of this approach buy people who know everything the best and don't think about others. Not happy with your life - do something with it.

Anyway, hope you guys - both community & Crytek stuff understand my point here. I can definitely appreciate difficulty of the situation and I guess in little bit too emotional way :) Wish you all good luck.

darmaximus wrote:Let's hope Crytek gets out of the trouble soon. Have to admit that I appreciate the work they put into engine and efforts of modernizing and expanding it.

Also I feel sorry for the guys who according the reddit post don't get paid, I've been there with some companies in the past (non game dev - hi tech company) and can see the pain especially if they need to support family. However I don't believe that going to public forums, sites is going to help them. What an kiddish behaviour. This can ruin the image of the company, thus have influence on the income and sales of their newly released titles.

Personally I'd think it's better idea to talk to the stuff internally, be blunt and if they don't receive honest answer leave the company if they must and seek support via official ways. Otherwise going publicly about it is just wrong and unethical imo as it harms the company image, and worsens the future of people who are still working in the company.

In regards to engine - I love it and I can appreciate being able to use it on the current model and hopefully I will be able to pay off / give back something to community once I release the game. As it's awesome thing to be able to use at all without paying expensive licenses.

As a CE user though I think some official news / comments from Crytek could help to straiten external reddit discussions. I'm surprised how people take real life difficult situation, just average users and blow it out, which eventually harms someone else name and real hard working people within the company.

Also can't get rid of the impression (as outsider) that many employees think about their own buts, learn something from the company and are too short-sighted to understand potential issues and difficulties. I suggest setting up your own company and run it better instead of excuse my word shitting into someone else nest. People learn engine/ technology, exploit it, learn from it and then become 'big devs' and condemned any other if they don't agree with them (talking about this disgusting sites as glassdoor or similar). Some of the ex-emplyees feedback can be honest and constructive, whereas other clearly is a result of being unhappy and sitting on the high horse, thinking, uh-ah they condemned my decisions, etc... Sick of this approach buy people who know everything the best and don't think about others. Not happy with your life - do something with it.

Anyway, hope you guys - both community & Crytek stuff understand my point here. I can definitely appreciate difficulty of the situation and I guess in little bit too emotional way :) Wish you all good luck.

You sir are probably the company owner yourself who delays or doesn't pay the salary to your workers. Do you imagine how is that when you have to pay for mortgage and your life expenses and provide for your family when your boss says "It's just a temporary issues, you must understand and look into the future". Or, I see, you must be supporting the Yerli statement that "Employees should do better with their "tight financial planning"? Try to work for 2 or more months without a salary and receive no explanation from your managers, and then teach the other people how should they "shut up and not harm the company image". When people get in such situation that they have no other choice - then it's a company fault, not people's fault.