Help to build my new pc for development in Cryengine.

My objective.
I want to save time when compiling, building large maps with lots of high quality elements and textures. Let's say something like "Cyberpunk 2077". I know it's too much to ask but come on it's worth dreaming. :D

okay. to the subject.
1 - CPU - Ryzen R9 3950x (16c-32t) or R9 3900x (12c-24t) are the ones I have in mind because they have many cores and I think that would work for the compilation, unless an Intel works better for me.

2 - RAM - 32gb or 64gb and at what speed would give me the best result for Cryengine.

3 - GPU - Here I have a little doubt. For what I want I think I need a somewhat strong GPU with a lot of VRAM. I was thinking about an RTX 2080S but this one only has 8gb VRAM and I don't know if they were or better to wait for the new GPUs to be announced soon. I am also pending on what AMD will announce, because according to rumors both companies will announce interesting things.

Thanks for reading this, if there is anyone who has had experiences with these components that would recommend me?

* And in case you are wondering about the other components I already have a slight idea of ​​what to buy.

Re: Help to build my new pc for development in Cryengine.

Hey JRpimentel,

Generally for compiling a large project base such as CRYENGINE then more CPU cores will be beneficial.
That said this mainly helps when building the entire engine, this can happen when building for the first time, or changing a file that is used in many modules (such as those in CryCommon). Depending on what you are developing then this may or may not happen often. Generally if you are simply developing a game then a modest core count of 4 or more would suffice and you can focus on speed (operations/second).

Regarding Graphics hardware it matters a little less, as optimization of your project correctly should give good performance on a variety of hardware. This is mainly due to your choice and which level you are comfortable with. Having a lower end rig will help you optimize for users of lower end hardware and vice versa. Of course, if you intend to make use of RTX or other hardware specific features then this is something you must also consider (VR Equipment for example) - although CRYENGINE does not need or use RTX at this time.

Even 32GB of memory is overkill for CRYENGINE although if you expect to use other software in tandem (such a video editing, 3d modeling softrware etc) then the more the better.

I cannot give specifics really and wouldn't advise it as a lot of brand picks are rather objective and down to your taste and budget. I would however recommend explaining everything you intend to use the machine for (CRYENGINE/3DS Max/Premiere Pro etc) as that will help give context to your build.
Uniflare
CRYENGINE Technical Community Manager
Here to help the community and social channels grow and thrive.

My personal belongings;
Beginner Guides | My GitHub | Splash Plugin

Re: Help to build my new pc for development in Cryengine.

Hello, Cry-flare.

Thank you very much for your help. And I can see that my ideas to build my machine were not so far from what I imagined.

Here are my intentions for using my machine: Cryengine, 3d max to Maya, Motionbuilder, Substance painter, Zbrush, Quixel megascans, after effects, ipi soft (for motion capture). these are the ones I have in my mind so far.

by the way, I don't know if in Cryengine it happens the same as in Unreal Engine 4, and it is that even having a CPU with more than more than 4 cores (for example, 8c-16t) in the editor only 4 cores work, but when it is compiling You can use all the cores you have in the case of the example (16 threads). But obviously you have to configure it to take advantage of all those cores and threads. Will I have to configure that option in Cryengine or does it automatically?

Thank you very much, for your great help and quick response.
Last edited by JRpimentel on Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.