What support unit would you choose

A Question about a mission. What would you choose for support?

In a mission you have to capture some locations and clear targets, there is lots of enemies to face.
Enemies are standard infantry with some armour from light vehicles to heavy tanks plus some gun emplacements like arty and AA.

What supporting unit would you choose to help with the mission. Only ONE can be chosen. Plus its a one time use once its destroyed that's it. Note the Air strike plane disappears of map but is still usable unless destroyed.

1) Advanced squad : better weapons, better unit co ordination and teamwork. 4-6 squad
2) Tank type medium support : communicate with tank to support it or to mark targets to target with main gun and to suppress enemies. (Limited shells)

3) Air strike support : lock in positions co-ordinates and use the ability to clear areas ( Problem can be destroyed before/after strike by AA, long recharge time)
4) Sniper support : Mark infantry units or light vehicles and the sniper will shoot at that target, can spot enemies the spotted enemies last for 15 seconds on the map (access to limited Ant-tank rounds)

5) Heli/jet support : Mark areas for fire to location, spot system to show enemy troops on the mini map only last for 10 seconds but will be active shortly after, ( Problem can be destroyed by AA )
6) Gunship similar to a ac 130 : Firers off random shots to the enemy troops, Fire to a targeted location ( But limited bullets, time in air, guns can be disabled for recon plane use thus spotting troops in a set area and can be destroyed by AA)

So those are the options which ones would you pick, If you have any other suggestions then I would like to hear it.

Re: What support unit would you choose

If the AA can be destroyed by me, I would choose an air assets such as c130 i this got hairy.
If the AA cannot be destroyed, might as well go for the tank (it cant be destroyed? only limited shells?), seems like the most cost effective out of them although there is no way to tell the actual effectiveness of any of the options without trying them out.

You say I have to clear targets, so I would assume any choice I make would make it possible to complete the objective. to that end though - it should be technically possible to win without support if, for ex, support gets shot down immediately.

For me, I would give optional strategies (different ways to approach the objective, stealth?) to the player, rather than the players support options, have the support always combat effective for less randomness, more control for the player to decide what direction they want to take the mission in, in an AOW situation, having assets that can be killed for a one shot go for me would just annoy me every time it didnt work xD.

sounds interesting though this for a game your making?
Uniflare
CRYENGINE Community Coordinator
Here to help the community and social channels grow and thrive.

My personal belongings;
Beginner Guides | My GitHub | Splash Plugin

Re: What support unit would you choose

uniflare wrote:If the AA can be destroyed by me, I would choose an air assets such as c130 i this got hairy.
If the AA cannot be destroyed, might as well go for the tank (it cant be destroyed? only limited shells?), seems like the most cost effective out of them although there is no way to tell the actual effectiveness of any of the options without trying them out.

You say I have to clear targets, so I would assume any choice I make would make it possible to complete the objective. to that end though - it should be technically possible to win without support if, for ex, support gets shot down immediately.

For me, I would give optional strategies (different ways to approach the objective, stealth?) to the player, rather than the players support options, have the support always combat effective for less randomness, more control for the player to decide what direction they want to take the mission in, in an AOW situation, having assets that can be killed for a one shot go for me would just annoy me every time it didnt work xD.

sounds interesting though this for a game your making?

Thanks for the answer
Yes the AA can be destroyed.
All options that support you can be destroyed, tank can be destroyed as well.
It has limited shells for standard targets and anti tank rounds. enough rounds for the mission in theory
Before this mission you will be able to use these in different missions to see how they work.
There is weapon caches around the map which will be used for anti tank weapons. in case you support option is taken out. Though with stealth option you need to be stealthy other it will alert the rest of the units around the area, there is also enemy flares so watch out. it would be difficult but do able if support is lost.
Due to the mission theres only really a couple of routes in but that might change in the future.
killed for a one shot go i know what you mean but am trying to get people to not rush is all the time, of cause there is times to do that but the support sticks to your location so this will have to be changed i think.
There is other support units but they are secret ;)
It is from a game that am making at the moment, i have so many notes on it with all the ideas and options to include in it. Just got to get busy working on it.