Goggle indexed pages for old forum.Whoopsy

When searching google for anything cryengine related google is pulling up results for pages not found, because they have been moved.and you get the Whoopsy The page you’re looking for does not exist.
so you have to add the _archive to the url to get the page.

Could you not add a simple redirect from cryengine.com/community/ to cryengine.com/community_archive/
so search engine results are still of use ?.
Last edited by leonuk on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Goggle indexed pages for old forum.Whoopsy

I agree with this, google will eventually remove those indexes but I think they are still beneficial to cryteks seo.

Maybe not a straight redirect, but rather give the user the option to continue to the old archive, or to go to the index of the new forum.
Uniflare
CRYENGINE Community Coordinator
Here to help the community and social channels grow and thrive.

My personal belongings;
Beginner Guides | My GitHub | Splash Plugin

uniflare wrote:Maybe not a straight redirect, but rather give the user the option to continue to the old archive, or to go to the index of the new forum.

That's exactly what we're doing right now. :) It will be resolved with the next web push.
Nic
CRYENGINE Community Manager

I'm manning the CRYENGINE stations on Facebook & Twitter as well, so come and say hi!
My personal Twittering may contain nuts.

Get to know me.

You can do better than that ;).

People who use those links probably want to view the content they tried finding. Linking generically to the forum looses that content meaning they have to search for it.

Imo, it should ask if you want the index of new forum. Or continue to the requested specific archived topic.
Uniflare

My personal belongings;

We don't really want to keep redirecting people to the Community Archive to be honest. The Google refresh will come and we attempt to trigger it sooner and then most search results should be leading to the new forum.

There's a lot of old and outdated content on the Community Archive and why we still want you to be able to access it, ultimately, we want to invest into this new space more. If you really need to access a topic on the old forum and want to use google search for it, you can manually add the '_archive' behind 'community' and it will lead you right there:

https://www.cryengine.com/community_archive/viewtopic.php?f=328&t=136158
Nic

I'm manning the CRYENGINE stations on Facebook & Twitter as well, so come and say hi!

Get to know me.

broken links will give you more issues. A lot of content is on that old forum and I agere you want to uish people to the new forum but;

When someone clicks an old link, they get the option to "go to new forum _hoempage_" or "go to old forum _homepage_", where is the link to the actual content they are trying to get to?

I only think of future users who get frustrated as old links from tutorials or docs dont work and dont know or care to change the url manually.
Uniflare

My personal belongings;

This will be a temporary problem, but yes, we know and we see it happening. We are working on a solution - one of them being the Google refresh. But hang on a second, broken docs links? The docs didn't change, so have you seen any issues with them, lately?
Nic

Get to know me.