Suggestion: Add new "Cryengine Projects" forum to "Cryengine Development"

I asked this on the old forum but thought I'd ask again with a more robust idea;

The idea is to create an easily navigable and defined space for developing and finished projects that use or are targeted for cryengine to communicate and collaborate.
This can encompass market place submissions such that it provides a single defined space for information/feedback and communication regarding the submission.
The drawback is an expanded category (already a few forums in there), and a higher/more expensive moderation strategy for the new forum as its intended purpose is to consolidate communication and feedback into a single thread, which removes the need for any other kind of thread in these sub forums.

I have 2 options;

1. Create sub forums like "Marketplace Threads", "Projects and 3rd Party", "Snippets and Resources"
"Marketplace Threads"
Just an area for marketplace submissions to post a thread solely for their submission. Providing a single space for information/feedback and communication between end-users and the developer(s).
"Projects and 3rd Party"
For any contained project to provide a single thread for the same reasons as described above for their project. (BCry for ex. SplashExample? :P)
"Snippets and Resources"
A place where anyone can submit quick code snippets/rigs/models etc that could help someone (remember hotscripts? haha)

2. Create a read-only forum for marketplace assets (and if you're up for it, 3rd party projects) that are manually posted by crytek staff when accepting submissions. This could be integrated into the market place.

cheers
Beginner Guides | GitHub | Splash Plugin | CMake Tool

Re: Suggestion: Add new "Cryengine Projects" forum to "Cryengine Development"

Hey uniflare,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I have to say I fail to see your point there, unfortunately. What exactly would be the purpose of such a strategy? I feel like we are having sub-forums for all the cases that you mentioned, and I am adamant to see the necessity of a dedicated sub-forum or thread to provide exactly this kind of interaction regarding the mentioned topics.

Maybe I am just getting you wrong, but for Marketplace projects, feedback and also advertisement, there's a dedicated Marketplace forum where all your suggested input could go. For CRYENGINE projects in general, there's the Showcase Gallery. So what exactly are you missing in this context?

Cheers,
CRYENGINE Community Manager

I'm manning the CRYENGINE stations on Facebook & Twitter as well, so come and say hi!
My personal Twittering may contain nuts.

Get to know me.

Ok,

My point was that posts get buried, a plugin is not necessarily a showcase, marketplace forum great but what i make a thread for my item, which also gets buried by everyone asking why they cant ckeckout.

I explained this though. I dont understand if u read my post how you didnt see my point? There is a difference between a generalized feedback area and a designated area for specific things. Everything in this forum is generalised except announcements.

Hopefully this clears things up for you

Yes, that did clarify your request for me. There is no need to question if I did read your post; I wouldn't be replying if I hadn't.

Ultimately, we will look into making the distinction between sub-topics more clear, especially in the marketplace forum. Rules about posting and a tagging system or prefix solution are several things we are looking into, but we have to evaluate the risk of every mod or plugin used, as they can proof to be a security risk. Thus, we will look into applying these solutions when the issues you are describing are actually happening - not pro-actively.

When it comes to usability on the forums, we want to present a free space for the community to find out how they want to tackle things before we restrain them too much by default. If the problem you are foreseeing presents itself, we will tackle it. For now, I just don't feel as strongly about this as you are. No need to doubt my sincerity in trying to understand your point, imho. For now we have good reason to try and keep the forum landscape simple as the sub-forum structure in the old community was less than ideal and some mods/plugins were causing problems along the way.

To use one of your examples: When there are major issues like the current marketplace checkout issue for example, we issue users to complain about their experience in one dedicated topic - multiple topics for the same issue will be merged with the existing one. This won't litter the whole marketplace forum and leave plenty of room and exposure for sales threads. Additionally, we encourage the use of tags so people can easily distinguish between a sales thread and a feedback thread - but the respective rules are still under construction. Until the end of this week we are confident to have all instructions up and running - and then we'll see if the community pulls together and actually adheres to them or if we need to take further actions.

This community will grow in users and activity and we have several options ready to apply when necessary. For now, we're gathering your input and keep taps on what bothers you and what you would like to see - but ultimately wait for actual activity and user behavior to unfold. So thank you for your input.

I'm manning the CRYENGINE stations on Facebook & Twitter as well, so come and say hi!

Get to know me.

Thanks!

Sorry if I came off a bit blunt it just seemed like a write-off of the suggestion based on an assumption of my meaning - I truly would never want to offend anyone here just want to convey my thought, very sorry if I offended you :oops: !

I see your points precisely and is something I considered when thinking about this suggestion, I just find it difficult to place threads of certain types into a respective category at the moment. But that could change with a simple re-wording/shifting of categories and forums.

Don't get me wrong I'm very appreciative of the forum update, I really appreciate crytek handing out the jewels to the masses for free, and has helped me get into game dev (ye i know ue etc..), the support and response for the community is great and I just want to see this community grow (which it is ofc), and grow well. Which for my reasoning for this suggestion was based on creating a foundation for the community to get dug into without having to re-arrange or change things around later.

In the last forum, the lay-out was actually quite similar, You had less categories which was simple but ended up with a much more generalised feel with support topics burying community contributions like little snippets/guide and addons or external projects. So I think the expanded categories is a good step to help people find and get the help they need at the time.

I mean you could end up with a single sticky thread listing all the projects or items people openly contribute but that ofc would mean someone moderating and updating that sticky.
You could sticky all project/contribution based threads, but that will get messy, and more moderation required again to accept contributions etc as stickies.

I can just imagine, bare with me - a single forum with a few categories, like "Code Snippets" for example, and this would hold threads that give code snippets. Just one example, but I do see the inevitable cost of moderating such a specific forum. But the benefits would be two-fold; Users would be able to browse snippets or projects etc in an easy fashion (could use tags in this way, plugin, snippet or project for ex) - and secondly for the developers, they can be assured that their contribution is properly indexed and easy to find, the thread can hold any queries or comments related to the contribution and so prevents further support topics (ofc - will always be some) from spilling into the wrong categories.

--
Again I am sorry if I offended you! you have been nothing but helpful and active for the community, thanks for taking the time to read my suggestion and hope I don't waste your time :).

Thanks, uniflare and also thank you for your suggestions, as always.

I am not offended, I just felt you got me wrong, there. I really do care for your feedback, so I didn't mean to evoke the wrong impression.

Indeed, I get your point and as I said, we went through a lot of drafts until finally settling for a broader structure. We want the forum to be a bit simpler, but it's not impossible to add more categories on the go if the demand arises. Right now, as you have already seen when presenting your own great tutorial contribution, we are indeed moderating and granting sticky threads to high quality community topics so they stick out and don't get lost. It works well for now but we will keep our eyes peeled and evaluate the situation on a regular basis.

Your suggestion has been submitted for the list of future development. :)

Get to know me.