DDNA vs. DIff

So, I have been messing around with the sample project assets and I don't think that the "texture" input for painting terrain does anything. In the terrain editor, the paint tab has a field labeled "texture" under the "Layer" section and I have tried the same Texture (both diffs and ddnas) with MULTIPLE materials and they don't make a difference. Whether I use no texture, a random grass texture, or a sandstone texture, nothing changes. It seems to me that the only thing that matters is the material.

Re: DDNA vs. DIff

Yes. You should only use the material. The material already holds textures. By the way: a diff texture is an albedo map (it basically stores color information) and a ddna texture is a normalmap with a roughnessmap inside the alpha channel.

- Jannis

Re: DDNA vs. DIff

dignity wrote:Yes. You should only use the material. The material already holds textures. By the way: a diff texture is an albedo map (it basically stores color information) and a ddna texture is a normalmap with a roughnessmap inside the alpha channel.

- Jannis

Ok That makes sense. Could you take a look at this other post I made about this stuff, I didn't get a great answer. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=916 . Look at the tutorial I linked there because near the beginning of the video he shows a little graph of what the RGBA values should be. What are Normal Green and Normal Red? Are those types of normal maps, or are they different? What is a normal map?