Crash on win64 release build for game.dll

Started with blank or fps project, same thing.

Generated solution.

in VS2015, debug mode runs fine.
But when set to release mode build, app crashes after a few seconds running.

For Win32 x86, no problems in either debug or release build.

With Win64, only debug mode works. Any attempt to set build to release, will crash. Using latest cryengine sdk.

Re: Crash on win64 release build for game.dll

They should be, because the identical blank project works fine in win32 release mode.

Just not in win64 release mode. Win64 debug is fine.

I did not add/remove anything, asset or code otherwise. Just chose a default blank template (those with spinning balls)

Then generate solution, load vs2015. The default debug build can run fine, just not release mode (for win64)

Using windows 8.1 with vs 2015 update 3 in 64bit mode.

Here's attached picture.
Crash at that line of code GetTerrainSize.

Hello,
The issue is that you are only building the game.dll in release, but the engine binaries provided by the launcher are built in the profile configuration - release and profile configurations produce incompatible binaries. We don't provide the release binaries via the launcher engine by default, which means that you have to compile the engine itself in release configuration. We know that this is not ideal and we are investigating how we could improve the workflow for release builds. You can download the engine source on our GitHub page https://github.com/CRYTEK/CRYENGINE.

Cheers,
Alex

Hello,
The issue is that you are only building the game.dll in release, but the engine binaries provided by the launcher are built in the profile configuration - release and profile configurations produce incompatible binaries. We don't provide the release binaries via the launcher engine by default, which means that you have to compile the engine itself in release configuration. We know that this is not ideal and we are investigating how we could improve the workflow for release builds. You can download the engine source on our GitHub page https://github.com/CRYTEK/CRYENGINE.

Cheers,
Alex

Hi.

I downloaded the engine and tried compiling for release. Failed to build the d3d related dll although everything else worked.

It requires DirectX 12 sdk which is not supported on my windows 8.1.

I find this unacceptable that I have to build this whole thing on Windows 10 (which I refuse to install and will never use this version).

I hope you guys find a way to ship release build/dlls without users having to build it themselves (which then add mandatory requirements on system OS)

I am afraid I have to abandon this engine for now because the requirements are not compatible with my needs.

I hope you guys find a way in future to make things more accessible for future users. I do not want to run Windows 10.

Hello,

Cheers,
Alex

Hi.

I downloaded the engine and tried compiling for release. Failed to build the d3d related dll although everything else worked.

It requires DirectX 12 sdk which is not supported on my windows 8.1.

I find this unacceptable that I have to build this whole thing on Windows 10 (which I refuse to install and will never use this version).

I hope you guys find a way to ship release build/dlls without users having to build it themselves (which then add mandatory requirements on system OS)

I am afraid I have to abandon this engine for now because the requirements are not compatible with my needs.

I hope you guys find a way in future to make things more accessible for future users. I do not want to run Windows 10.
Why does it require DX12 SDK? Are you rebuilding the DX12 Renderer aswell? Do you need that? I'm no expert with this dark void code stuff. But the DX12 SDK should not be required or am i wrong?

All I did was run download_sdks.exe

Then run cry_cmake.exe to generate the sln project for vs2015.

Then finally load it up in VS2015 and set build to release, and hit build.

5 dlls failed to build, including all d3d related renderers.

That's when I decided to stop wasting my time further.

Cryengine is no use to me for now. It's desktop only and even then it seems to require things that would probably limit audience/targets.

A simple blank template ended up with 300++ megs. An entire game can be developed for 300 megs but the blank template does nothing and eats 300 megs.

I will wait until the engine gets easier to build and distribute apps, support mobile (at least Android) since mobile platform now exceeds PC/desktop.

Until then, I have not much practical use for this engine. I will stick to urho3d for now, at least I can compile to Android and also to web using emscripten. Webassembly is also possible for it.

There's too much sacrifice I have to make to use cryengine. I hope the team can clean up the engine and address the issues with

1. Large binaries of blank projects (300 megs)
2. Limited platform (only desktop?) please at least support android.
3. Difficult release build. Please do not require a situation where we have to upgrade to windows 10 and D3D12.h

Hello,
If you want to build CRYENGINE for Windows 8.1 or lower you have to disable the Renderer_DX12 option in the CMake GUI. After that you should be able to build the engine on your machine.

As stated before, we are already looking into improving the workflow of building and packaging release builds. This also includes the overall size of the build and accessibility of the whole process, especially for none programmers or in the words of lavizh "none dark void code experts" ;). We know that the current process needs some adjustments and are thankful for your feedback and we are trying to address it, but with regard to the platform we still support everything up from Windows 7.
Cheers,
Alex

No can do. Already disabled D3D12 option in cmake, hit configure and generate.

And a host of other errors, mainly to do with oculus vr not able to find d3d12.h

Anyway, i cancelled the build halfway, not wasting time with this trying to track down every build error or missing header/etc or whether I need a particular module or not.

Btw, I am quite a blackbox developer as well (Since DOS days).

Urho3d is also configured the same way with cmake like cryengine and I have no problem compiling the options I want.

CryEngine needs to be cleaned up imho. Even I find it a chore to try to build a release for this. Seems even the D3d11 renderer requires something that can only be found in windows 10 and the sdk.

45>d:\cryengine-release\code\cryengine\renderdll\StdAfx.h(399): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'pix_win.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file D:\CRYENGINE-release\Code\CryEngine\RenderDll\StdAfx.cpp)
45>D:\CRYENGINE-release\Code\CryEngine\RenderDll\StdAfx.h(399): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'pix_win.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file D:\CRYENGINE-release\Code\CryEngine\RenderDll\XRenderD3D9\ResourceCompilerHelpers.cpp)
45> CryRenderD3D11_CryGpuParticles_uber.cpp
45> CryRenderD3D11_CryRender_resfile_uber.cpp
45>D:\CRYENGINE-release\Code\CryEngine\RenderDll\StdAfx.h(399): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'pix_win.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file D:\CRYENGINE-release\Code\CryEngine\RenderDll\XRenderD3D9\D3DMeshBaker.cpp)
45>D:\CRYENGINE-release\Code\CryEngine\RenderDll\StdAfx.h(399): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'pix_win.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file D:\CRYENGINE-release\solutions_cmake\win64\Code\CryEngine\RenderDll\XRenderD3D9\CryRenderer_uber_5_dx11_dx11.cpp)
45> CryRenderD3D11_CryRenderer_render_elements_uber_0.cpp
45> CryRenderD3D11_CryRenderer_render_elements_uber_1.cpp
45>D:\CRYENGINE-release\Code\CryEngine\RenderDll\StdAfx.h(399): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'pix_win.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file D:\CRYENGINE-release\solutions_cmake\win64\Code\CryEngine\RenderDll\XRenderD3D9\CryRenderD3D11_CryGpuParticles_uber.cpp)
45>D:\CRYENGINE-release\Code\CryEngine\RenderDll\StdAfx.h(399): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'pix_win.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file D:\CRYENGINE-release\solutions_cmake\win64\Code\CryEngine\RenderDll\XRenderD3D9\CryRenderD3D11_CryRenderer_render_elements_uber_1.cpp)
45>D:\CRYENGINE-release\Code\CryEngine\RenderDll\StdAfx.h(399): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'pix_win.h': No such file or directory (compiling source file D:\CRYENGINE-release\solutions_cmake\win64\Code\CryEngine\RenderDll\XRenderD3D9\CryRenderD3D11_CryRenderer_render_elements_uber_0.cpp)
45> CryRenderD3D11_CryRenderer_textures_uber.cpp