Learning CryENGINE with CryENGINE Game Programming with C++,C# , and Lua

I know the book is old but i wanted to find a better way or let me say an easier way to learning the engine, at least till i understand few basic things. Everyone tells me the learning curve is insane but then you see the power of the engine.

My issue is that a lot of things have changed since the book is released and a lot of code is not working thus i wanted to ask is there a better way to start learning the engine.

Today I was reading how to create Game Rules and when i started checking the GameSDK 5.4 code lots of things are different. Also when i checked videos on CryENGINE YouTube channel about how to create game rules things are done a bit differently on 5.3 since the game engine in 5.3 is still not considered an entity.

Is there any advice how should i proceed learning more about the game engine from someone more experienced than me ?? :D

Re: Learning CryENGINE with CryENGINE Game Programming with C++,C# , and Lua

A good starting point to learn working with the CRYENGINE is to check out the templates as mentioned earlier. You can create C# and C++ templates in the Launcher. The technical documentation on docs.cryengine.com contains several programming tutorials on how to get started with the CRYENGINE.
For C# you can check out the C# Programming page, and its child-pages.
For C++ templates it's already a good start to look into their source-code to see how they're working. On top of that there are community made tutorials that might help you as well.
And finally for Schematyc there are use-case tutorials that give a broad introduction on how to work with Schematyc.
If you're not afraid of C++ you can also learn a lot by checking the engine's source code on Github.

A good starting point to learn working with the CRYENGINE is to check out the templates as mentioned earlier. You can create C# and C++ templates in the Launcher. The technical documentation on docs.cryengine.com contains several programming tutorials on how to get started with the CRYENGINE.
For C# you can check out the C# Programming page, and its child-pages.
For C++ templates it's already a good start to look into their source-code to see how they're working. On top of that there are community made tutorials that might help you as well.
And finally for Schematyc there are use-case tutorials that give a broad introduction on how to work with Schematyc.
If you're not afraid of C++ you can also learn a lot by checking the engine's source code on Github.
I am not afraid of C++, actually I want to do more C++ and CryENGINE is written in very good C++ but its huge for me at the moment to tell that.
I just have one question. What about GameSDK as a learning place, do you believe that is too big for me to start now at the beginning ?

While GameSDK does contain a lot of potential learning material, it is not very easy place to learn the CRYENGINE. On top of that the GameSDK is planned to be removed in the future because it's not entirely up to date with the latest features of the engine. If your goal is to learn C++ in the CRYENGINE I would recommend starting in the C++ templates, since they're a lot smaller so it's easier to figure out how they work. The templates also use the new Entity Components, instead of Lua which will eventually be deprecated.

While GameSDK does contain a lot of potential learning material, it is not very easy place to learn the CRYENGINE. On top of that the GameSDK is planned to be removed in the future because it's not entirely up to date with the latest features of the engine. If your goal is to learn C++ in the CRYENGINE I would recommend starting in the C++ templates, since they're a lot smaller so it's easier to figure out how they work. The templates also use the new Entity Components, instead of Lua which will eventually be deprecated.
I already know C++, its just to know where to start learning the engine. I tried different places but it was not going well because I was using older material and it was very time consuming. I guess I will just start looking at the templates, learn entities, Schematyc, and later when i get used to engine a bit I will read the engine code (especially graphics pipeline and shaders).

As for GameSDK i saw that few things were not working well when i tried to test things on my own. I guess I will just leave it as it is and if i get stuck I can always either ask here or see GameSDK code and try things myself before asking too quick.

There is no shame in asking any questions!
The good thing if you find the solution yourself, you can post it on your topic and help others who might take longer to work out a resolution to their problem.

We do have some programming topics and especially from the community there has been various topics covered by the CRYENGINE's wonderful community, on YouTube and here on the forums.
I suppose I would suggest picking something that you want to achieve, and asking more specific questions on what you need to know.
Uniflare
CRYENGINE Community Coordinator
Here to help the community and social channels grow and thrive.

My personal belongings;
Beginner Guides | My GitHub | Splash Plugin