asset browser & texture files

I've had problems with the asset browser not importing texture files. I started a new project file with the main release of 5.4 and imported a bunch of models, materials, and texture files (through windows explorer). The models and materials all show up in the asset browser after hitting generate/repair all metadata. However, I always have problems with a bunch of textures not showing up, even whole folders of them. So I have to go through manually and drag them in. For folders that don't appear in the asset browser but are in location inside the project when seen in windows explorer, I need to create a folder of the same name inside asset browser before importing the images. This seems to only happen with texture files, not models or materials.

Am I just using the asset browser the wrong way or is this a known problem? It would make things easier if we could drag folders in. But I feel like all folders & texture files inside the project folder should appear in the asset browser automatically.

two folders don't appear in the asset browser. I also had to manually import some of the textures below. I believe the texture files that don't show up are ones that aren't referenced to by a material.
assetbrowser.JPG
assetbrowser.JPG (45.68 KiB) Viewed 223 times

Re: asset browser & texture files

Yes, actually ue4 automatically detects changes and additions to files inside the project folder and prompts you to import them. Right now, at the start of project in ce, if I bulk import a bunch of textures, I have to actually check if all of them got imported. I don't need to do that with ue4.

That's not helpful. The reason why I come to the forums is because I have looked at the docs and couldn't solve my problem.

Re: asset browser & texture files

quasarwei wrote:Yes, actually ue4 automatically detects changes and additions to files inside the project folder and prompts you to import them. Right now, at the start of project in ce, if I bulk import a bunch of textures, I have to actually check if all of them got imported. I don't need to do that with ue4.

That's not helpful. The reason why I come to the forums is because I have looked at the docs and couldn't solve my problem.

As i understand with ue4 you still need to import things, it just detect changes and import them in background..Cryengine at the moment can not do this, but you can do this manually.. Importing textures with other formats, such as png, tiff, jpeg etc without PS plugin crytiff is a new thing for cryengine added in 5.4 version.. but you still need setup your textures for cryengine and with right _suffix for them, _diff_ddna_spec_displ, etc, so it can pick right preset when RC generate them.. and you can change preset directly in engine by double click on image if you need .. You can import all your textures by just drag&drop them all in your folder inside assetbrowser, *half automaticaly*, tested.

Generate metadata is for other purpose, not for importing things