Climbing system

Hi guys This maybe the deal breaker for me in deciding what engine to use. I'm trying to get info on how to do a climbing system in cryenine and I can't find anything helpful on the topic. A friend recommended that I not use cryengine if I want to make a 3rd person game with a climbing system and to just go back to Unity or Unreal. Is this true? I'm thinking it must be because I have been looking for someone working on a climbing system or tutorials for about 8 months now and the one person that I did find that was working on one said he gave up on cryengine and started using Unreal.

Thanks in advance

Deep

Re: Climbing system

deepsky wrote:Hi guys This maybe the deal breaker for me in deciding what engine to use. I'm trying to get info on how to do a climbing system in cryenine and I can't find anything helpful on the topic. A friend recommended that I not use cryengine if I want to make a 3rd person game with a climbing system and to just go back to Unity or Unreal. Is this true? I'm thinking it must be because I have been looking for someone working on a climbing system or tutorials for about 8 months now and the one person that I did find that was working on one said he gave up on cryengine and started using Unreal.

Thanks in advance

Deep

Hi Deep
well, I suggest you take a look into static ledge. I would imagine you could take a look at the scripts responsible for dynamic / static ledge to see how it's done in there. Then you would need to make your own animation and load them - states for your character. At the moment static ledge allows character to climb up and he stands. I guess you would need to change the code so character hangs (different animation) and once player grabs the ledge you would need to limit his movements to the ledge. Of course this is my guess only and idea how I would approach it. I'd imagine it requires quite a bit dedication and it's not straightforward line one would think. Anyway, ledge would give you some starting point.

Hopefully someone more competent could add up to the topic an point you to the right direction. Good luck.

Re: Climbing system

darmaximus wrote:
deepsky wrote:Hi guys This maybe the deal breaker for me in deciding what engine to use. I'm trying to get info on how to do a climbing system in cryenine and I can't find anything helpful on the topic. A friend recommended that I not use cryengine if I want to make a 3rd person game with a climbing system and to just go back to Unity or Unreal. Is this true? I'm thinking it must be because I have been looking for someone working on a climbing system or tutorials for about 8 months now and the one person that I did find that was working on one said he gave up on cryengine and started using Unreal.

Thanks in advance

Deep

Hi Deep
well, I suggest you take a look into static ledge. I would imagine you could take a look at the scripts responsible for dynamic / static ledge to see how it's done in there. Then you would need to make your own animation and load them - states for your character. At the moment static ledge allows character to climb up and he stands. I guess you would need to change the code so character hangs (different animation) and once player grabs the ledge you would need to limit his movements to the ledge. Of course this is my guess only and idea how I would approach it. I'd imagine it requires quite a bit dedication and it's not straightforward line one would think. Anyway, ledge would give you some starting point.

Hopefully someone more competent could add up to the topic an point you to the right direction. Good luck.

Ok thanks i'll look into that.