Speedtree for Cryengine

Hi,
I am working on a game project in Cryengine in which many trees are needed.
I don't want to use cryengine's trees, I want to make them myself on Speedtree.
In speedtree it's easy to make LODs and billboards so the FPS keeps steady.
But there's no Speedtree support for Cryengine.
I saw this in the Roadmap:
lololo.jpg
lololo.jpg (100.38 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
Does this mean Crytek is working on it?
When will it get released and will it be free?
If it will release soon ( before 2018) I will be very happy!
Sorry my English

Thank you
Hi, I am making a Jurassic Park Game on Cryengine.

Re: Speedtree for Cryengine

I doubt it's a priority right now since the costs are rather high to license this for an engine. It's under the Development & Research section, that doesn't mean it will actually be publicly available. It means they are investigating it. If someone can persuade IDV to cut the licensing cost it would hopefully change things :)

Wait what, Crytek needs to license Speedtree support for Cryengine ? Sounds weird to me, since Speedtree is making money of selling game ready trees and they're tools to create them.
Can't imagine there is a cost involved to integrate speedtree into Cryengine. To be hornest it's also not priority for me but it's a feature that is missing now for years in cryengine. Unity, UE4 and also Lumberyard has it but i guess thats the result of year long 'we don't care' what the community needs business model. However it seems that Cryengine finally changed they're policy to a good.

IDV is not going to give it away to engine developers for free. Just becouse it's free for Lumberyard users doesn't mean Amazon didn't pay IDV a large sum to license it. It does not come cheap. Amazon did that to get users over and make it easier for indie developers. And it's working.

I just hope Crytek follows.

Amazon paid for the Speedtree Tool/App to create trees, usually you have to pay like 20 USd a month to use it. Lumberyard users can use it one year for free. Im talking just about the integration of speedtree into a engine, the possibility to import a speedtree file into the engine. I just can't believe that you have to pay a license fee for integrating Speedtree Support into a engine.

IDV did all the work and technically getting it to work on CRYENGINE would hardly take much work since most of it is already done. Lumberyard and CRYENGINE is still very similar on these regards, naturally the CGF format has changed, so it's not compatible but that's easily fixed.

Sandbox source will be available soon with 5.4 final, i guess IDV could create a plugin solution, integrate it for CE5 then charge a monthly sum for usage without going through Crytek? Not sure how that would work out. I don't care what happens as long as we get Speedtree 8 (not 7) support for CE5 at some point.

IDV did all the work and technically getting it to work on CRYENGINE would hardly take much work since most of it is already done. Lumberyard and CRYENGINE is still very similar on these regards, naturally the CGF format has changed, so it's not compatible but that's easily fixed.

Sandbox source will be available soon with 5.4 final, i guess IDV could create a plugin solution, integrate it for CE5 then charge a monthly sum for usage without going through Crytek? Not sure how that would work out. I don't care what happens as long as we get Speedtree 8 (not 7) support for CE5 at some point.
Thank you for clearing that up!
I hope Crytek and IDV will find a sollution.
And I hope it will be free for users.... I am a hobbiest developer who makes a free game, I rather not pay 20 euros each month for one program. Because I am not 18 yet and don't have a lot of income.
Hi, I am making a Jurassic Park Game on Cryengine.