Re: LUA Support In Upcoming Versions

Lua is deprecated and will no longer be worked on. The heavy tie in for lua is also going to be removed so the only way its probably going to exist in the future is in a plugin which will probably not be provided by crytek directly.
Can you confirm whether Lua works in the current version of CEV?
I installed it a week ago. I can load my custom objects but my Lua entities don't appear.
I'm assuming Lua will be dropped in a later version. I note that the release notes have several Lua-related changes, and there's no mention of Lua being dropped.
As I've invested years of work into developing Lua code for my simulator, you can imagine what I think about this!
Regards,
Chris

I can confirm that LUA works fine in the current version (5.3). Just the GetAngles function seems to be broken (has problems with angles over 90 degree (1/2 * Pi rad)).

Did you add your LUA files to the list? If they are not added to it, the editor will not recognize them (.ent files are deprecated for some time).

I've spend lots of time with LUA aswell. I'm pretty upset about this aswell. It's really awful.

- Jannis

Hi Jannis,
Thanks for the tip. The .ent files worked in 5.0. I wasn't aware of the change in 5.3.
Could you point me to the docs or tell me how to create the list? Many thanks.
Like you, I'm extremely disappointed that Crytek are dropping Lua. Lua is surprisingly powerful as it can access much of the C++ libraries, and yet it's also very easy to use - no compiling C++ code and no need to restart Sandbox to load new code.
I think my simulator demonstrates how powerful Lua can be - as far as I'm aware, no one else has created an advanced non-commercial flight simulator for Cry Engine. It has a unique autogen system that creates effectively millions of scenery objects dynamically in-game, allowing the creation of real world maps hundreds of kilometers across. The simulator also includes spacecraft, trains, ships and ground vehicles, which can be driven by the player or can run in AI mode (e.g. combat or following waypoints).
The vehicle code has about 6000 lines of Lua code developed over many years.
And now Crytek wants to throw all this away.
I'll continue to develop the simulator for CE3. Fortunately the free SDK is widely available and can easily be used.
Best regards,
Chris

I don't think that we'll get a converter. Furthermore it is pretty unlikely that anyone will create a plugin.
And I really don't get the point of dropping the LUA support either.

I mean LUA is much simpler than C++ or C# and I really love it. I think that CryTek is making a big mistake here.

Instead of dropping it, I guess that they could even expand it. Right now, the LUA integration is designed to ceate Entities, AI and Flownodes. I think it would have been great if CryTek would expand this and integrate the weapon and bullet system into LUA aswell. So that we could create new weapon functionality and bulletclasses in LUA. And after that they could integrate even more.

But sadly we will not be seeing any of this stuff. Like I've mentioned, LUA is simple to use (An experienced programmer is able to use LUA with CryEngine after maybe one day of learning, a novice programmer might need a week), it is straight forward and it does not need to compile.
There are a lot of reasons for LUA.

I'm really depressed about CryTek's decision to remove the LUA integration. All the time that I have spend on my scripts will just be wasted (or I would need to stay with CryEngine 5.3). That really pulls me down the last days.

- Jannis