Re: Simple question - entity orientation

Hi.
For getting the rotation, GetAngles is the right function. But due to a bug, it seems to have problems with values over 90 degree (1/2 * Pi rad).

GetAngles takes a table as a parameter and passes the rotation values into it.

So the following code should work fine:

Code: Select all

local direction = {x=0, y=0, z=0}; GetAngles(direction);
I have not tested the code above, so please forgive me if it doesn't work. I'll look into it tomorrow and test it.

I just hope, that CryTek will provide some sort of LUA integration for backward compatibility in future engine versions.

- Jannis

Hi joseph,
I'm not sure *exactly* what you want, but I'm guessing you want to set the angles etc of a spawned entity.
There's probably no reason to get the initial angles as the entity will always have the default angles (its y axis pointing along the Sandbox y axis).
I routinely spawn vehicle entities in my simulator, and also set their positions, angles and any other parameters as needed.
I only use the table to specify the entity class, partly as I'm not familiar with the specification of the entity table (it may not be documented).
After spawning it's easy to set parameters for the entity as the function returns the entity ID (MyObject in your example).
So, to set the engles and parameters of a spawned vehicle, I do something like this (pos and angles are set as required):

Code: Select all

local params = {}; params.class="Spitfire"; ID = System.SpawnEntity(params); ID:SetPos(pos); ID:SetAngles(angles); ID.Properties.Stuff = MoreStuff.......etc etc
Hope this helps,
Chris

Hi joseph,
Thanks!
One thought occurred. I only use SP, so that method works fine. Presumably it should work by setting the orientation parameters in the table.
But do you know the specific format required? I don't think I ever found documentation on the table.
Cry Engine probably has three methods for setting angles:
Explicit angles, vectors and a third method that uses 4 numbers, not three (I forget the name of this method, but in the past I actually wrote some code to convert from this to more useful angles).
Could it be that the table needs four numbers to set the angles, and not three?
Just a thought.
Regards,
Chris