Re: Is Lua being removed?

For reference it'll likely stay in the engine, but be moved into a plug-in eventually. So you will be able to continue using it.

We don't want to remove it fully as too many older projects rely on it, and we want the ability for those projects to transition still.

@chris : this might sound like a huge task but you should definately move your project over to CEV. You'll also benefit from the Vulkan renderer (still experimental) and lot of new tech and updates for your project :)

And you'll also be on an engine that WILL continue receiving updates for many years to come.

EaaS has been dead for years ...

Hi i59,
That also sounds very interesting. A plugin could be ideal, particularly if it didn't require GameSDK to work.
But of course, with a plugin all the script binds must work as before, I assume that would be the case.
Many thanks, looks like I won't be abandoning CEV after all!
Chris

Hi lavizh,
This all sounds very promising.
Of course, I would like to stay with CEV if it still supports Lua, which seems to be the case. I will probably try the latest CEV version.
Yes, converting the code from one major CE version to the next can be a huge task, it literally took me years to get it running properly on CE3.
I have toyed with the idea of making the code universal, so it can work on CE2/CE3 and possibly CEV, with a single option setting.

Yes, it would be a huge plus to be able to benefit from new engine updates.
I have been interested in the Oculus Rift for quite a while, so better Oculus support in future updates would be a major plus. I hope that Oculus will work in Sandbox game mode, if it doesn't with the latest version (usually the Launcher - or whatever replaces it now - does not work properly for my simulator).
Many thanks for the support,
Chris

What was the reason for it? Crytek made amazing games with LUA scripting, did you guys found some fundamental flaw with it?
The reasoning behind it is that fundamentally we changed the way we worked internally and had to adapt. We no longer used Lua in production and the industry itself has been embracing more modular entities (components) and also vsual scripting as quoted above. Lua for years has been barely limping along in usage within the community and if you had to truly want to find documentation on the older systems you had to Google Blue Mars to see more Lua setups outside the GameSDK.

I see moving past Lua as being for the best.
Thanks for taking the time to reply to me, i comprehend, if you guys are not using LUA yourselves anymore, it does become hard to maintain, and the competition does use C#, so i also comprehend why you guys decided for it, even if personally, i would not use this last one has a reason for a change but that is me.
But i'm happy that you guys are deciding to still maintain it, even if only has a plugin, imo a nice compromise.

I have been interested in the Oculus Rift for quite a while, so better Oculus support in future updates would be a major plus. I hope that Oculus will work in Sandbox game mode, if it doesn't with the latest version (usually the Launcher - or whatever replaces it now - does not work properly for my simulator).
Many thanks for the support,
Chris
Currently the Oculus setup still requires the GameLauncher. This is due to the restriction of multi-viewport that we are slowly starting to lift. Having a VR Preview is something that I would like to see in upcoming releases but unfortunately there are rendering bottlenecks that must e resolved for this to even be feasible.