Ocean visibility distance

In earlier versions of Cry Engine the ocean was rendered all the way to the horizon. But now (in CE3 and probably CEV) the rendering distance is limited, presumably to help frame rates.
When viewed from a distance or from height it can look completely unrealistic. In my application, distant terrain brushes appear to float in the air, because the ocean does not reach the horizon.

Can the ocean rendering distance be increased e.g. by a console variable?
I've searched a number of times for a distance setting but never found anything.
Many thanks,
Vy

Re: Ocean visibility distance

Hi there,

I cannot seem to reproduce this issue in CRYENGINE Preview 4.
Setting e_MaxViewDistance=17000
This is what I see:
pyramid_far.png
pyramid_far.png (286.26 KiB) Viewed 258 times
I do not notice any floating effect, perhaps you can share which project you are using, and some screenshots of your issue?

Thanks
Uniflare
CRYENGINE Community Coordinator
Here to help the community and social channels grow and thrive.

My personal belongings;
Beginner Guides | My GitHub | Splash Plugin

Hi Cry-Flare.
This was actually copied from an old post by me:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1502&p=11233&hilit ... 450#p11233
You can see a screen shot showing the problem.
As I mentioned there, I found that the full view distance could be restored by setting high quality in the config spec menu (this was in CE3, I assume it's the same in CEV).
If you set medium quality you may see the ocean view distance is much smaller.
I found that e_MaxViewDistance only affects object view distance, it has no effect on the ocean.
The screen shots show the difference between medium and high config spec.
Ironically, the ocean distance is actually larger than it should be, so it shows up too far behind the land. If there is a CVAR that actually controls the ocean distance, that would be very useful.

By the way, as we're talking about the ocean, is there a way to disable star reflections - they look terrible. I've searched a number of times and asked on the forum, but no joy. Is there a CVAR that can disable star reflections?
Many thanks,
Chris
Attachments
ScreenShot2402.jpg
ScreenShot2402.jpg (115.32 KiB) Viewed 225 times
ScreenShot2401.jpg
ScreenShot2401.jpg (116.82 KiB) Viewed 225 times

Don't think there is a CVar that controls ocean render distance itself. Though it is strange that e_maxviewdistance does not affect the water.
If you have q_ShaderWater set to 2, then make sure to set r_WaterTessellationHW to 1 to make sure the water is not hard-clipped at a specific distance.
Uniflare
CRYENGINE Community Coordinator
Here to help the community and social channels grow and thrive.

My personal belongings;
Beginner Guides | My GitHub | Splash Plugin