Re: Cryengine 5.4 in late April ?

Indeed lavish ;) trying something different
It could motivate me to build more in a set amount of time and prototype more content for when next engine releases. Then being rewarded twice by (if you complete the set work) and that of a engine build release.
Now that am happy with the art style and the other goodies that will be included i can now revamp and start building what it should of been like in the first place.
The Long Road Ahead till got something to show

Well the 5.4 release should be releasing any time now. Despite all the negativity this topic has I have to point out, as someone who has had his eyes on CE for quite a while, that it has in fact improved tremendously. Lets compare CE 3 and CE 5.
  • CE went completely free with a pay what you want model.
    CE has become much easier to use and much more flexible - the new editor is the reason.
    CE has moved from the 'mod Crysis to make a game' to a full project based approach.
    It has become much more easy to make anything. Implementation of Schematyc may not be a priority for some but don't forget that the easier and more accessible an engine becomes, the more attention it will attract. Also the implementation of C# that will allow tones of new developers to use the engine, after all there are way more C# developers than C++.
    Many features that were in other game engines such as UE4 and Unity have started to roll in such as an asset browser (granted it's not fully here yet it still is WIP), a visual scripting system that compiles, an upcoming material editor, a new particle editor and more.
    A bit of FBX support.
Now for the things that need to be improved.
  • CE needs to be more easy on a developers side, the Entity system still has ways to go.
    There are still missing features such as UI editor, and
    Templates are not good.
    C# is not fully implemented yet.
    More tutorials are needed. Especially programming ones.
    Documentation needs to be improved.
    More community involvement. (I am the only person browsing this forum currently! YIKES)
    Faster development of the engine. (That is probably going to happen once Sandbox source is on GitHub)
    Support of PNG files.
    Terrain textures needing high pass filter.
    TIP: Make everything node based - It makes everything easier and much more simple to develop with.
Most of the things mentioned are going to be implemented in future updates according to the road map but im just pointing them out. Progress is slow but don't forget that UE4 and other engines had a giant head start. Hopefully CE team picks up speed once the foundation has been fully set. I still believe in CE personally, just need to give it some time to improve since it's still in WIP.

Welp according to the Cryengine twitter, Cryengine 5.4 has been delayed again. I heard that the Vulkan API and the entity stuff are the primary causes for all these delays (correct me if I'm wrong though). Must be very hard for them to implement and/or they want to ensure rock solid stability. Well I hope 5.4 comes out before the next F-Zero/Half-Life game comes out :lol:

Maybe,, but who knows? :)
Python and c++ editor plugin are great features, too.
To be honest, they have too many features to pack in a single update.
Everything else aside, CryAction Extraction, Vulkan support, substance plugin, deprecate photoshop plugin, AI template, all implemented in a single update is
kind of crazy. I understand why they are taking so much time with this release.

Wait, is the road map page wrong then? Because it still says that CryEngine 5.4 will release in June. Not only that, I asked the CryEngine twitter and they said that it will be coming in June.
the roadmap has not been updated yet. Decision to delay to July is a recent decision. It's sad but the delay is necessary.