Re: Cryengine 5.4 in late April ?

Unfortunately, it's because we have such a tiny community. UE4 is one of the most popular engines on the planet and Cryengine adoption is very small. We need more members and more talented devs that are actually working on titles.

Maybe we can solve this with more aggressive social media (without attacking other engines tho).

The fact that Cryengine is REALTIME ALL THE TIME is so overlooked. That's the one thing Cryengine does that no other public game engine on the planet does (Lumberyard doesn't count since it's basically Cryengine). This needs to be the first and foremost advertised feature of the engine.

But that also brings up an interesting perspective. Look at Lumberyard, their growth has been phenomenal and the rapidly add features that their community wants. They have a MUCH more modern pipeline and they are compatible with most industry standard software. They even have substance integration!

Although I have to say that Lumberyard´s community doesn´t seem very huge at this moment (Ok it´s just their first year).

I think what Crytek needs is another Crysis 1 (= a brilliant game everybody is talking about). A game that showcases the engine´s
capabilites and is fun to play. And most important: Mod support!
The best way to get into a game engine is to start with a simplified version of it where one person can achieve more
than with a blank game engine template.
Just look at Umbra (now Wolcen). It started as a mod for Crysis 1.
SeithCG (Ghost of a tale) also began working with CE but then moved to Unity because this engine was easier/more comfortable. Nowdays when Crytek has made
CE V more accessible i think the hurdle to continue working with CE after modding would be smaller. (And Crytek could add some stuff to engage modders to continue with CE like a small banner like: "Do you want full control over the game you make continue with Cryengine V - completely free for everyone" just an idea ;) )
And I think that HUNT definitely has the potential for such a game (+ mods increase lifetime of the game drastically)
Noises of the Zone:
FACEBOOK | YOUTUBE |CE-FORUMS

Thats why i'm saying two updates a year are just a bad joke... to increase the amount of users the engine has to become more stable and it needs some basic features.
Thats why Shemantic is also a very huge and important point! Some of us dont need it right but it will attracted a lot more users that simply have no idea about C++/C#.
On the one site Cryengine is a really awesome engine on the other site even simply things like Substanace or Speedtree support are missing. Substance for example has a huge community!
They are going alreday tzhe right way... changeing the import/export pipeline etc... but there are tons of small things that cryengine is missing, which will make indie live more difficult.... Even simple things like
in engine vertex painitng are missing....

My only fear is... the day UE4 will release some kind of good dynamic GI, Cryengine will be have a really hard time keeping users/developers.

@adiko
I don't think so. CryEngine has an absolutely different approach than UE. And I don't think that the missing substance or speedtree support is that important. You could just buy these programs and then import the results into the engine.
It's really not that hard.

I also think that Schematic is a good decision. But I hope that they will keep the LUA support. LUA is a much better system, if you can use it (you could really learn LUA with CryEngine within a week, even if you're not a programmer). I hope that Schematic won't replace it.

But regarding "in engine vertex painting"... I am glad that CryTek focuses on the important things. They don't have a massive team like Epic Games has.
CryTek's team does an awesome job, bit let's face the truth... You can use your modeling software (Blender, Maya, 3ds Max, e.t.c.) for vertex painting. I don't get why someone needs this as a part of the engine. I also think that the new designer tool was a waste of programmer's time. It really is not the job of an engine to create, uv-map and texture new models. Don't get me wrong: It's nice to have these things, but I don't think that they are really useful.
The power of the designer tool is called "white boxing". But the tools from CE 3.5.8 were more than enough for this job.

- Jannis

Designer tool are bunch of tools that can make CRYENGINE more user friendly, intuitive, and more efficient on content creation

Exactomondo excreation, Why load external DCC to make simple geometry when D tool does it in engine just fine 50 times quicker more efficent^ with out need even switch to another program. You want make a game today or in 10 years? If make it today then integrate as many systems as you can Well done Crytek taking initiative doing it on many systems, Schematic approach to me is anaolgy of windows operating system UI User friendly common sense approach ease of use, Imagine if windows did not exist we still be tinkering with code do simple tasks, what basicly saying is Scripting launguages in general are out of date and need taken to new level of user interaction ease of use, this is how i see FG system And Schematic is evolution in time saving for developers.
Assimilated Reality's

@dignity
It's not like this is my opinion... i can live without substnace and speedtree in cryengine... but it is like it is, take a look across all the forums. This is just the tip of the iceberg what users/ indie developers want in cryengine and why they choose other engines over cryengine.
Going for Substance in Cryengine means you are opening the door for a huge community.... the same goes for other plugins...

Have a look at Koolas work... he is using UE4 with speedtree, he is posting his work all over the internet. Potential users see his work and atarcted by it, wow this is looking amazing.. let me try this too.
Could he create the same scenes without speedtree models ? for 100%! but this is not my point. It's all about atracrting users to your engine, making they're lives easier.

Even a studio a like massive "Snow drop engine" has a image clip for they're engine... why ? To show potential candidates... look how easy and fun our engine is to wrok with.
The new FBX pipeline is a very good way... But it's just the start of a flexible and user friendly pipeline/engine.

And for the designer tool, yeah its a nice thing... but im sure no indie or pro studio which are serious about creating a game will use or need it.

Designer tool is initially and primarily for rapidly prototyping the game world, that's all , it's the basic concept of it. of course it's capable of modelling complex structure but consider that is "Extra", you can do it for fun.

in beginning for building a game, there're always ideas first with no actual processing of modelling ,texturing, etc, just Level design or prop design etc, for testifying and experimenting the game logic, functions , sense of scaling,positioning ,perspective, atmospherical condition , pre-vis , TOD, etc. under this circumstances , Designer tool is real deal on this one.

i don't know why people like to think it's a serious content creation tool for pro game-assets creation ? you just place it in wrong position, even sometimes it's capable of doing some real stuff.

Where updated! Other engines have already released two major updates. Crytek is seriously going to release only two major updates a year, which do not bring any new features. Here seriously what features will be in 5.4. (Texture import from any image format, deprecate crytiff / PS plugins) I can live and without this feature, crytiff to me does not interfere. And here Vertex Blend as in UE4 for example, it is not necessary! It's just a daub! As some here write, according to that technology is not in the priority.

dhomochevsky wrote:Where updated! Other engines have already released two major updates. Crytek is seriously going to release only two major updates a year, which do not bring any new features. Here seriously what features will be in 5.4. (Texture import from any image format, deprecate crytiff / PS plugins) I can live and without this feature, crytiff to me does not interfere. And here Vertex Blend as in UE4 for example, it is not necessary! It's just a daub! As some here write, according to that technology is not in the priority.

Lots of new stuff coming in 5.4. Lots of Schematyc enhancements. The delay was becouse of new fancy entity stuff + Vulkan (and getting it right on launch the first time and not repeat what happened with DX12) + getting the engine stable. The delay was a necessary one. It doesnt matter to me if UE4 releases 4 or 5 major updates a year, i couldn't care less. It's not the right engine for me anyways. Crytek and Epic Games are going in different directions with their engines. I just wan't CRYENGINE 5.4 to be a good, perfect and a stable engine on release day.