Re: Cryengine 5.4 in late April ?

The Sad part is... Cryengine 5 could be almost a perfect engine... Jesus, double the size on developers which are working on the engine... get Shemantyc production ready, add a view necessary features to the engine like better AA , in engine Vertex Painting, Node based shaders etc... And we are god to go! But instead of pushing the engine and sweeten the engine to indie developers we are getting 2 engine releases a year lol. A lot of UE4 users are tired of baking the light in UE4... Than they try out CE5 with high hopes and all they get are critical bugs, problems with updating the engine and content and a lot of missing features to make developing easier/quicker. And im speaking here as a CE5 fan... I used Cryengine the first time when they used LPV for GI.

Let's not forget Epic's huge moneybag ... they have the team size and resources, same with Unity. Crytek doesn't have the same resources. They have to make due with what they have.

dhomochevsky wrote:
lavizh wrote:Also don't confuse UE4 development team size with CRYENGINE team size. One is huge the other is not.

Then what is the meaning of this engine

I'm afraid i don't follow you? I'm using this engine to build a game on 5.3.2, which is working just fine for me ...

lavizh wrote:Well, i'm all for it if it makes the 5.3 platform even more stable, chances are we'll see 5.3.3 or 5.3.4 before late april

We will be releasing 5.3.3 'soon' - we've just entered a stabilisation phase for exactly this reason. You can see that we're preparing something by the fact that commits have started to land in the stabilisation branch on GitHub :)

We will be releasing 5.3.3 'soon' - we've just entered a stabilisation phase for exactly this reason. You can see that we're preparing something by the fact that commits have started to land in the stabilisation branch on GitHub :)

Any chance to get some news about the GI not being working for pointlights ? "colorbleed" Wil this be fixed in 5.3.3 ?

Crytek is just paying for the wasted opportunity of hugging indie devs when UE4 was not been released to the market yet.
It's just sad. I really hope Cryengine recover from this "crysis"
But now, all I can do is lament while I use the Unreal Engine, with their excellent support, complete documentation and huge number of video tutorials on Youtube

What crisis and what wasted opportunity are you talking about? Delaying 5.4 only means more updates to the 5.3 platform (5.3.3 is coming and most likely 5.3.4 too) and making the editor even more stable. More features and more new tech doesn't necessarly make for a better engine. I have zero problems waiting for 5.4 as im already busy developing a game in the meantime :-)

All the changes that Crytek are doing right now like "pay what you want" program, C# implementation, video tutorials on Youtube, easier pipeline, source code access, and everything that indie devs loves, could be done 3-4 years ago with free SDK. But they simply didn't care about indie devs. Everyone knows that.
Last edited by attak999 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Longer development time didn't mean that you will get a better version of the current engine or more features... Just imagine 1 or 2 main developers just left crytek and thats why they have to delay the release.
Having two times a year updates on the engine while still having a lot of bugs and a unstable version of the engine where core features are missing or not working like they should, is for sure not healthy at all. I can also wait, i can also use a different engine for some time.... but a lot of users will just leave or even didnt start with CE5. Isn't the goal here to grow the community, to grow the user/developer base of Cryengine ? This wont happen if they dont keep up the way they did it the last months... We have better documentations/tutorials... A Roadmap... Important features are coming or are announced... Slowing this down will just cause another dying of this nice engine. Thats what im affraid about...

See attacks coment, this is how many users thing and thats what im talking about. The image of cryengine "support" is not good at all when asking around in the indie scene and thats sad.