Re: Cryengine 5.4 in late April ?

I'm making a (fairly advanced) FPS template remake with state machines and the whole kaboodle.

There are plenty of things that are 'out of date' and 'deprecated' without replacements, however with some careful workarounds/placement I'm well set for any future updates on this.

In the meantime, I have something that works, something where I can build on, and since I'm tackling everything (more or less) I can always make progress in something.

If you feel that some 'bugs' in cry engine are making it harder, sure. I completely agree (and networking in 5.3 lol)

But they're working on it, and in all honesty even major features can be rewritten slightly to accommodate limitations. As long as you 'pretend' that it works (since its not on your side anyway) then it's fine. Or find a workaround.

I couldn't care less about Schematyc, or Flowgraphs, or C#, or really anything that panders to the average 'I dont know how to code but want game' person.

Learn C++ and stop wasting THEIR time trying to make the platform EASY for you.

Obviously they aren't that responsive (it's getting annoying for some of my Q's) but from what I've seen here, most of the developers have little to no idea on what they're talking about in broken english.

The main problem is not that the engine is missing "now" some up to date must have "core" features, the problem is... When you are looking at the roadmap and you see, ouh just 2 updates a year, it kinda is alarmingly to new users, since they check out the current engine... the roadmap... and say... well thats not what im looking for.

And for shemantic, yeah it's cool... do i personally need it ? NO.... but for the genrall health of the engine, it would be so important to push this feature much quicker. There are a lot of users which choose UE just because of the blueprint system and the very very good documentation and tutorials... and why do they have such good tutorials ? Simple because the UE community is huge. It's like a chain reaction...

Im not complaining about missing features, well maybe about all the GI bugs :-) Im more affraid about the general health of the engine and user/developer leaving this community.

personwithhat2 wrote:
I couldn't care less about Schematyc, or Flowgraphs, or C#, or really anything that panders to the average 'I dont know how to code but want game' person.
Learn C++ and stop wasting THEIR time trying to make the platform EASY for you.

Crytek did for years exactly what you just said . "We don't give a F about what you need, YOU have to adapt to our software or get out"
Well, this is where this kind of thinking bring us, a failed forum, with a broken engine with almost no users anymore. Congratulations, you got it.

Learn about market rules dude, the product must be adapted to the customer, not the customer be adapted to the product

@attak999 You have to keep in mind that Cryengine V was like the first step to become more indie/User friendly... FBX support, Tutorials, Level examples etc... Before Cryengine V it was more, we develope our games... here is our engine use it if you like... At least this is was my impresssion. With Cryengine V a lot of things changed to a good... Until the new release dates on the roadmap ;-(

attak999 wrote: Crytek did for years exactly what you just said . "We don't give a F about what you need, YOU have to adapt to our software or get out"
Well, this is where this kind of thinking bring us, a failed forum, with a broken engine with almost no users anymore. Congratulations, you got it.

Learn about market rules dude, the product must be adapted to the customer, not the customer be adapted to the product

Can you please learn to read?

I just said that the community is complaining that it's taking them time to work on the Schematyc/etc. to pander to your needs. IMO I said that schematyc/etc. are useless since in the end C++ is better/more-optimize/offers-more-control.

And it's not 'adapt to software'. It's 'maybe I shouldn't have to use shiny flow charts when creating a streamlined SOFTWARE', and 'maybe I should learn how to code in C++ (or anything really)'.

@eprsonwithhat2 what's with the personal attack? He seemed to be responding just fine to you.

I don't think creating/improving on schematyc is pandering. If you think it and flowgraph are a waste of time & useless, you're in the minority. For you, sure, but they and Unreal's blueprint are useful tools. Non-programmers do also make games.

adiko wrote:Was the release of Cryengine 5.4 moved to late April ? At least thats what the roadmap says . If so... wow... i even don't know what to say... The three month schedule was already a pain in the a##.
I really don't know how crytek wants to push the engine when your users have to wait like almost 6 months for a new version of the engine. Especially when things like the broken GI from ponitlights are still not working.

What was that about no updates? Seemed to be plenty of them between December and February that made their way to Release. Pulling from the main repository itself shows that there have been plenty more making their way into 5.3.3 and 5.3.4. And those are just the ones that have been released. Still many more that are in Main/Stabilization and untold numbers that are still being worked on and not yet merged into the central repository. (edit: checked and saw that Main branch has more than 200 additional updates than Release, so it's not like Crytek is sitting idle)

I would directly compare the number of Crytek updates to the number of Epic Games updates, but I've never gotten around to re-auth'ing my account since UE4 went free.

5.4 is huge. It's low-level and widespread. It has seemingly even gobbled up features from other updates as well. Yes it is taking time and that time is needed.

No offense my friend but i think you have no idea what you are talking about. In fact comparing the amount of updates, fixes, optimizations and new engine features, between Cryengine and UE4 ist kinda mega crazy.

Epics team is waaaaay bigger than Cryteks engine developement team. It is like it is.... Crytek will never push out such big updates like epic until the they're team gets bigger. Which is not necessary, until they have a regular engine support which makes the engine more stable and ads here an there some urgently needed features. My point of this thread was just about the cycle of updates which is getting ridiculous small right now....

Read the UE4 update notes... The list of community fixes/optimizations to the engine is even bigger than some regular cryengine releases.