Re: Cryengine 5.4 in late April ?

5.4 update for me nothing interesting does not bring. But 5.5 is another matter. Here I have a few questions
1. Dynamic Env Probe you will not be detained for another half a year, they promised to integrate at the end of 2016
2. Well and most interesting, the new Material editor, FINALLY!
Crytek already working on a new Material editor?
Will the new Material editor be as flexible and functional as in UE4? Will be added Layered Materials https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/LayeredMaterials/ and
Instanced Materials https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/MaterialInstances/index.html
3. Expanding the functions of materials in the engine, will affect other features? For example, the complete processing of Vertex Blend?

dhomochevsky wrote:5.4 update for me nothing interesting does not bring. But 5.5 is another matter. Here I have a few questions
1. Dynamic Env Probe you will not be detained for another half a year, they promised to integrate at the end of 2016
2. Well and most interesting, the new Material editor, FINALLY!
Crytek already working on a new Material editor?
Will the new Material editor be as flexible and functional as in UE4? Will be added Layered Materials https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/LayeredMaterials/ and
Instanced Materials https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/MaterialInstances/index.html
3. Expanding the functions of materials in the engine, will affect other features? For example, the complete processing of Vertex Blend?

I guess they are already working on this tool and have been working on it since some time... such tools take much time...

But I have to agree to you. Personally it has no killer feature for me but I guess the multiplayer game template, better Schematyc, etc. will help a lot in creating games.
Also I cant´t estimate the impact of the features like the asset browser and non Photoshop texture import. I hope they will make the workflow a lot more smoother and better!

And Android development workflow is being implemented! This sounds very cool! Maximum graphics on mobile!
Noises of the Zone:
FACEBOOK
YOUTUBE
CE-FORUMS

Not to mention the Sandbox sourcecode release coming with 5.4 and the advanced physics and animation components coming with Schematyc. The new entity system looks awesome and will help a lot of people. Using the GameSDK from now on really doesn't make much sense so i hope it doesn't get updated with 5.4 as there is no need.

Oh and let's not forget Substance Designer integration with 5.4 :)

They recently released an article about the new LOD Tool for 5.4 in the docs but took it down only a few hours later. I think it shows that the delay of 5.4 was probably a last moment decision. It is most likely not that easy to assemble an Update that is stable, if there are so many aspects of the engine are under construction at the same time. Not only 5.4 features but also 5.5 are for sure in the works right now.
BTW. the new LOD Tool looks very promising to me.
I did work with the fbx the last days and i think it's absolutely awesome. It is even better than the fbx importing in unreal in my opinion. And with 5.4 we will get in addition to that texture importing, practically deprecating the Crytiff Photoshop plug-in.
For me 5.4 is a very anticipated update.

lavizh wrote:Not to mention the Sandbox sourcecode release coming with 5.4 and the advanced physics and animation components coming with Schematyc.

I doubt there will be full Sandbox source code release in 5.4. What was promised is Sample Plugin and documentation for plugin writers. Sample plugin is already on github, docs... well, hope somebody is writing them right now :)

I waited mostly for the updates in animation and physics code to shape up and how they will be integrated in Schematyc in comparison with UE4 approach. Funny thing - I've almost completed my game prototype with UE while waiting for Cryengine release since Feb :) Maybe I just have to stop waiting and switch from playing with UE to coding.

Cryengine has MANY things that would be useful to me but the lack of docs and general eclectic nature of implementation of those systems makes them hard to adopt. And situation doesn't become better, as the only docs they write are mostly 'click with your mouse in this menu entry to open one more dialog'.