5.4 character controller and schematyc documentation

When can we expect new documentation of schematyc to go online? I've dug into schematyc to try and build a basic first person controller but I'm not sure how to designate an action for the "onaction******" nodes and I also can't get any of the mouse actions to work. While debugging, keyboard keys debug just fine but mouse actions don't.

Also, bindmouseaction has x,y, and z for inputIDs. Is Z for joysticks?

There's another problem with spawning. Sometimes after editing the schematyc, the player spawns outside of the terrain area in the ocean. The player spawns correctly after reloading the level.

Edit: I figured out how to detect different inputs for OnActionChanged, pressed and hold nodes. Attach action name to a string switch. I've not figured out mouse actions yet though.
I still can't get mouse actions figured out. Has it not been finished for the preview build?
Attachments
schemcc.JPG
schemcc.JPG (94.14 KiB) Viewed 674 times

Re: 5.4 character controller and schematyc documentation

The mouse actions should already work in the preview build. If you want to receive events for the mouse movement you have to listen to the Input::OnActionChanged signal which then will return the value and the name of the signal. Maybe you can show me how your Input::BindMouseAction node looks like in the properties panel.
Regarding the random spawning objects outside of the terrain, that's a known problem with the preview window and for the moment I would recommend to close the preview window in your Schematyc editor, which should fix it.

Cheers,
Alex

MMhhh unfortunately I can't really see a problem here. I tested your setup and it works fine for me. What you could try is to create a completely new empty schematyc entity and try out the most basic setup possible for the mouse input.
simply_mouse.jpg
simply_mouse.jpg (47.7 KiB) Viewed 511 times

Drag that entity into the level, start the game and observe the schematyc log if you can see any messages.

If that still doesn't work it would be nice if you could send me the log file of the engine, which is called "editor.log" and can be found in the root folder of the engine.

Cheers,
Alex

Interesting, I copied your schematyc and the mouse actions were being recorded after all. I did some more testing and it looks like if I mix and match mouse and keyboard actions, whichever type I registered & bound last would be detected, but the others would be ignored. So if I bound a keyboard action before the mouse actions, the mouse actions were recorded just fine, but the keyboard action would not be read.

This is what's in my editor.log file:

Code: Select all

BackupNameAttachment=" Build(83) 28 Jul 17 (02 46 51)"  -- used by backup system
Log Started at Fri Jul 28 02:46:51 2017
Built on Jul 24 2017 00:48:48
Running 64 bit Windows version
Command Line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Crytek\CRYENGINE Launcher\Crytek\CRYENGINE_marketplace_5.4.0.83_pc\bin\win_x64\Sandbox.exe" -project "D:\Google Drive\CryEngineProjects\021617\Game.cryproject"
Executable: C:\Program Files (x86)\Crytek\CRYENGINE Launcher\Crytek\CRYENGINE_marketplace_5.4.0.83_pc\bin\win_x64\Sandbox.exe
FileVersion: 5.4.0.83
ProductVersion: 5.4.0.83
Loading Config file system.cfg (system.cfg)

You are right, if I register certain actions in a specific order I don't receive mouse events anymore. I'm pretty sure this is a bug in the schematyc input system. I will have a look into it and fix it for the next update. Sadly I can't really say when this will be, if you find a workaround you might post it here so other people can profit from it. Anyway thanks for the help and for reporting the issue.

Cheers,
Alex