Save Game Corruption Bug

Hi all,

It seems that there is a bug in Cryengine when you save a lot of quicksaves. I have seen that Arkane studio got the same issue on the game Prey.

What happen is that after saving more than around 450 times with the quick save, the Cryengine makes only corrupted files that can't be loaded anymore.
So the game crashes each time I try to load.

Could anyone knows how to fix this issue please?

Maybe connected to this in the error log: [Error] XMLCPB ERROR: NumChildren overflow: 16427 / 16383

Re: Save Game Corruption Bug

Hi all,

It seems that there is a bug in Cryengine when you save a lot of quicksaves. I have seen that Arkane studio got the same issue on the game Prey.

What happen is that after saving more than around 450 times with the quick save, the Cryengine makes only corrupted files that can't be loaded anymore.
So the game crashes each time I try to load.

Could anyone knows how to fix this issue please?

Maybe connected to this in the error log: [Error] XMLCPB ERROR: NumChildren overflow: 16427 / 16383
450 autosave are really a lot but for now i don't had any issue with saving and loading meanwhile in the cryengine 3 there was a big problem for saving now with 5.3 and 5.4 seems that they fixed this problem, the problem could be that cryengine save a new metadata file every time you save, so if youre game have 100 autosave you will have 100 or more files, i find a system with my team to replace only one files each time you save, if you need it i can share my flowgraph setup, is very easy

450 autosave are really a lot but for now i don't had any issue with saving and loading meanwhile in the cryengine 3 there was a big problem for saving now with 5.3 and 5.4 seems that they fixed this problem, the problem could be that cryengine save a new metadata file every time you save, so if youre game have 100 autosave you will have 100 or more files, i find a system with my team to replace only one files each time you save, if you need it i can share my flowgraph setup, is very easy

Thanks for your reply ik-interactive.
Yes 450 saved games is a lot but in an open world with a quick save button, you get that number quite easily.
I'm actually working on the Cryengine 3 as I have started working on the game in 2014. I'm about to release it so I can't move on the Cryengine 5 because nothing will work anymore for my game.
So yes the engine makes 2 files for each save, one csf file and a meta file.
Please share your flowgraph even I'm not sure it will work for me as we are not on the same version, but I'd be glad to look at it thank you.

[quote="uayeb"][/quote]

try that setup and let me know
Attachments
sdf.png
this is a simple trigger i done for save when player enter in
sdf.png (131.39 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Immagine.png
ui_action/mm_ingamemenu you can add the execute string node with the command save "autosave"
Immagine.png (174.47 KiB) Viewed 668 times

try that setup and let me know
Thanks for sharing your flowgraph! Yes this is the way to save on only one file, but I'm not sure that the crash will go away. I have to try that.

I have also tried to not use binaries but to save in xml adding the line g_useXMLCPBinForSaveLoad=0 to the system.cfg. So the crash that corrupted the saved game seems to be gone, but now it is crashing sometime when saving. But I can load the game after so it is not blocking the game progress. Still a bit annoying though.

If anyone knows how it was fixed from the Cryengine 3 to the Cryengine 5, please let me know as I'm using the verson 3 and can't update anymore on a new version.