Re: Physics abnormal behaviour at z=8000

Hi, its a level without terrain ( space level ) ,and I have just 2 objects : the player ( ball from template Rolling ball ) and primitive cube . These 2 objects are at z=8000, at z=34 for example this works well.

But I tried with terrain and with terrain elevation at z=8000 and the player ( ball ) collide with terrain, but it did not collide with primitive cube!!!!

It's easy to replicate, just create a c# project based on template rolling ball without terrain, add entity player (ball) and primitive cube, test at z=34 for example and then move to z=8000, try physics.

PB

this happens because for preliminary checks, the physics stores bbox z coordinates quantized and cropped to 16-bit signed ints. an engine change will be needed to fix that. a quick patch would be to increase zGran in the entity grid initialization in physicalworld. now it's 1/16m, meaning that i'd actually expect it to misbehave starting at +-2k range. increasing zGran (and decreasing rzGran correspondingly to 1/zGran) will increase the range proportionally. however, a better solution would be to use cyclic 16-bit arithmetic for z. we will probably add it in upcoming releases.
incidentally, the engine already supports cyclic bboxes for x and y, though the flag is not exposed in the sandbox GUI currently. it is in fact recommended to use that setting for large sparse levels, such as space-based ones.

cry-ak76 wrote:this happens because for preliminary checks, the physics stores bbox z coordinates quantized and cropped to 16-bit signed ints. an engine change will be needed to fix that. a quick patch would be to increase zGran in the entity grid initialization in physicalworld. now it's 1/16m, meaning that i'd actually expect it to misbehave starting at +-2k range. increasing zGran (and decreasing rzGran correspondingly to 1/zGran) will increase the range proportionally. however, a better solution would be to use cyclic 16-bit arithmetic for z. we will probably add it in upcoming releases.
incidentally, the engine already supports cyclic bboxes for x and y, though the flag is not exposed in the sandbox GUI currently. it is in fact recommended to use that setting for large sparse levels, such as space-based ones.

Would be great if Crytek could add cyclic 16-bit arithmetic for z. Several space games in the works on CRYENGINE already.