Can't assign texture to object in the materials editor

Hello,
I'm brand new to the engine and already facing an issue where I don't understand whats going on:

From another game I was about to import a 3D Object I originally used in Unity 3D. I made this model in blender and assigned materials and also textures. So the .fbx contains the mesh, the materials and the textures.
I found out quite fast, that I couldn't use the textures included in the .fbx file in CryEngine. So I converted my .png's to .dds's, importet them into my project and assigned them to my object. In 4 out of 5 Submaterials everything went fine. But when I want to assign the .dds texture to the last submaterial the console shows the error: "Error loading layer texture ([path of my texture])" and in the next line "File not found EngineAssets/TextureMsg/ReplaceMe.tif".
As a result, I'm not able to assign this texture to my object.
The texture is only black. Just an image with the color "black".

Also, what I don't understand, when I choose the shader option "Illum" the surface is black, but when I choose the shader option "Referenceimage" the surface is textured with "ReplaceMe". The texture preview at the top in the materials editor shows "ReplaceMe" anyways, regardless of what shader option I choose.

I hope you guys can help me in this matter.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Can't assign texture to object in the materials editor

I don't think Blender's FBX exporter can export materials CryEngine understands. You'll probably have to reconstruct the materials by hand for CryEngine in the Materials Editor. I'm not sure why your textures are showing up black, but my bet is that you're using a format CryEngine isn't expecting.

CryEngine materials each are built around a specific shader which has it's own specific parameters. The Illum shader you mentioned is the most commonly used. To use it with a PBR workflow you'll have to do some work in Photoshop to prepare the textures for CryEngine.

If you haven't read the following docs I suggest you start here. They are for CryEngine 3 but still applicable:
Main points:
- Create a DDNA texture (which is a normal map in the RGB channels and a gloss map in the Alpha channel). This goes into the Bumpmap field in the Material Editor.
- Create an albedo texture (like a diffuse texture with shadows removed). This goes in the Diffuse field in the Material editor.
- Set the specular color using a PBR reference chart for specularity. The links above have one.
- Set smoothness to 255 (this gives control of smoothness to the gloss map in the DDNA texture)
- Set diffuse to 255,255,255 (this gives control of albedo color to the albedo texture)

You can also use some other maps, like a specular map (if your material is partially metal and partially non-metal) or a displacement map

Re: Can't assign texture to object in the materials editor

Hello,
I'm brand new to the engine and already facing an issue where I don't understand whats going on:

From another game I was about to import a 3D Object I originally used in Unity 3D. I made this model in blender and assigned materials and also textures. So the .fbx contains the mesh, the materials and the textures.
I found out quite fast, that I couldn't use the textures included in the .fbx file in CryEngine. So I converted my .png's to .dds's, importet them into my project and assigned them to my object. In 4 out of 5 Submaterials everything went fine. But when I want to assign the .dds texture to the last submaterial the console shows the error: "Error loading layer texture ([path of my texture])" and in the next line "File not found EngineAssets/TextureMsg/ReplaceMe.tif".
As a result, I'm not able to assign this texture to my object.
The texture is only black. Just an image with the color "black".

Also, what I don't understand, when I choose the shader option "Illum" the surface is black, but when I choose the shader option "Referenceimage" the surface is textured with "ReplaceMe". The texture preview at the top in the materials editor shows "ReplaceMe" anyways, regardless of what shader option I choose.

I hope you guys can help me in this matter.

Thanks in advance!
Hi JonRyan,
I'd suggest using Bcry plugin and read documentation for Bcry first. They have pretty explanatory video. Otherwise like Drichardson said you need to assign materials material manually. In regards to black color for the material. Make sure you have texture loaded and compiled via compiler. Additionally change your diffuse color, slide down and see whether you see any change. This should help.
In regards to Reference image - I'm not an expert here but I'd presume it's replace me because you supposed to load pic via Reference Image properties panel ;)
GorbashGaming - Beginner Tutorials for CE https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIjN10 ... Img/videos