It's been so long that we have been using AS2. I started at least 6 years ago and there has been 0 changes.
Scaleform had released a version that supported AS3 a while ago, and as of July 12th, 2017, has discontinued it's sales and production for all of it's scaleform products. https://www.autodesk.com/content/autode ... middleware
That means that the current UI solution in Cryengine is so old that not even the people creating the software are supporting it anymore.
I'm mainly coming on here to rant, but also to raise awareness that the UI system is in a desperate need for an update.
The biggest things that our current version of scaleform doesnt support or handle well is listed below.
- 4k and ultra hd support is lacking. Flash sort of supports this, but all of the images need to be different sizes to deal with scaling issues.
- 3d objects. We need a solution where we can render 3D objects on screen (without a bunch of hacks) and be able to interact with them.
- Varying screen size positioning. Currently, the UI is set up to work with rectangular or square screen environments. There is no good solution to working with varying sized screens and where elements should be located.
- Currently the only solution for importing video is through an expensive Autodesk license that you technically can't purchase anymore. We need something that will allow us to play videos.
- With VR coming out and technology advancing, scaleform is going to become more and more apparent with how outdated it really is...